Author Topic: Pecan Log?  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Anaconda 12

Pecan Log?
« on: May 10, 2009, 09:54:25 pm »
I have been doing some reading that pecan trees and the wood they bear make a good strong snappy hunting selfbow, So today I cut some nice logs off a tree that was blowed over from the wind, the whole root system just blowed over and laid the tree over I was able to get some nice logs that can be split and reduced to numerous staves.  Here is the question, should I treat it like any other white wood and just peel the bark and use that for the back of the bow or does it have to be reduced and a a single growth ring followed out?  And since the tree is green, when I split it into staves should I then remove the bark and shellac the ends and back to prevent checking?  I have not worked pecan before so any info would be helpful!  thanks in advance.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pecan Log?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:51:36 pm »
Pecan(Carya illinoensis) is the same genus(Carya) as hickory. As a hickory it is probably the weakest but it is still a hickory and will make good bows. ;)  Peel the bark and seal the back and ends. You can use watered down white glue(carpenters) to seal the wood or shellac. Treat it like any other whitewood and use what's under the bark for the back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Anaconda 12

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 11:27:05 pm »
Thanks Pat is there any certain length that seems to behave any better than others, what I mean is do they tend to make better short bows or longer ones and if they are weak should I sinew back it or something else like say rawhide?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 11:51:51 pm »
Start out with a longer bow(68" to 72") 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" wide at the fades and out to mid limb then taper to 1/2" tips(for now). If that works well for your first bow, make the next one a bit shorter...and so on.
  It is still a hickory so if you peel the bark and the back is good, that's the best back you can have on that stave. No need for rawhide or sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 01:49:26 am »
Yep, treat it like any other white wood and you'll be fine.  I haven't tried pecan yet but it's related to hickory (as already mentioned)....and I really like the way hickory performs in the dry weather I've got out here in West Texas.

I think it's important to make sure the belly is completely flat.  Also, the pecan I've dried (in the past) tended to warp and check....so I would shape the staves as close to the final dimensions as possible before drying.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 07:12:28 am »
Personally I had no problem with warping and cracking. The biggest dislike about pecan  is that it is susceptible to parasites just under the bark which causes it to have brown streaks in the woo sometimes severe enough to cause strength issues. You may have to look carefully at you're wood to pick out piece that is solid  enough to make a bow. Depending on where you live this may not be a problem.Ron

If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?