Author Topic: Finds in Delaware  (Read 7653 times)

Offline uwe

Re: Finds in Delaware
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 08:45:06 am »
 ;)
Our stoneage devides in "Old" (Altsteinzeit) "Middle" (Mittelsteinzeit) and "Young" (Jungsteinzeit).
Your stoneage seems to be younger, but when I look at the artifacts it suits into the middle.
Sure plowed farmland is good area to find artifacts. But its often cracked depending on the farmers tools.
Regards uwe

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 12:46:19 am »
Uwe, most of my artifact hunting was when I lived in coastal South Carolina. No natural rock there so anything you found was an artifact. ;D   Cruising the estuaries and looking for cut banks in the cedar hammocks(small islands) where shell rings were washing into the water.
 One of our favorite sites was where a 60acre spot that was leveled for a factory. Fortunately the factory didn't get built but the site was a honey hole for stone and pottery artifacts. We have lots of pottery shards with many different imprinted designs as well as stone blades and points. One friend found an 8" obsidian blade...at least 2000 miles from it's source.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snedeker

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 04:30:50 pm »
Grinding stones are common all over the eastern US and began to be made around 6,000 BC.

I'm just finally now writing the proposal for what to do with all this.

Dave

Offline uwe

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 12:32:14 pm »
This would be the time between "Old" and "Young" stoneage in Europe. I think even the beginning of these stonetools here.

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 06:09:24 am »
Just googled argillite.  Apparently, it's a relatively common material.  What makes the Haida variety special is the grade and color.  The Solutrean theory is controversial, in part because there is no evidence of a maritime culture from that period.  The trouble is, if that evidence exists, it's several miles off the coast, due to sea level changes.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit