Author Topic: Hixton point types  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Timo

Hixton point types
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:45:20 pm »
 I found a bucket of Hixton in my barn today.(mostly smaller stuff)Hit a piece and made a very nice thin preform.Not sure what type point to make from it.

Anyone know some ot the types up that way?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Hixton point types
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 12:11:10 pm »
That Hixton is sweet rock. I've seen pics of authentic points of all kinds made from it-everything from Clovis, Folsom, and Scotsbluff/Eden paleo stuff up to Woodland points. Seems to have been a favorite of the Paleo people. Here's a pic of a collection of old Hixton points from Lithic Casting Labs.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 12:15:33 pm »
Whelp, there ya have it :). Man - them are some sweet blades in that collection!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline redwasp

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 09:52:21 pm »
what do you think the big one was used for or is that just the core?
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 11:11:17 pm »
i dont know any thing about the rock..but it looks like it was widely used...love the pic hillbilly..john

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 11:45:26 pm »
Thanks for the pic hillbilly. I did a lil checkin myself and found that there are a plethera of different points types made from it. I guess when the natives traded for it they just did what came natural.

I have learned that it is a very unforgiving rock to hit, but if you can get a good piece clean it will normally stay clean throughout the process. Hope I can get some bigger stuff sometime. I'm going to the osage knappin this weekend so maybe someone will have some there.