Author Topic: HERCULES CLUB  (Read 2851 times)

Offline smokeu

HERCULES CLUB
« on: May 12, 2009, 10:31:54 pm »
Has anyone ever heard of this bizzare tree? I found a few specimens in the area I am working this week... I know that it is a tree in the citrus family and has some strange properties such as being used by early pioneers and Native americans to treat toothaches becasue of the numbing properties with in the leaves and bark. My question is would this be a bow wood of any account?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: HERCULES CLUB
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:09:42 pm »
Also called prickly ash or toothache tree. It doesn't grow naturally here, but I just planted a couple a few weeks ago. Don't know about making bows with it, but it's an intersting tree.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline smokeu

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 11:28:17 pm »
Yea its deffinatly interesting, my book said they also called it  "tickle tounge"  also found this pic im not sure that this is a normal feature of the tree the few specimens i saw where not that big.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Longview, TEXAS

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 04:58:35 am »
Id say cut it(if legal) dry it and try it, and let the rest of us know how it works out. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:51:39 am »
 It grows all over down here, but I never saw one that big. I've wondered about making a bow from it also. If you crumble the leaves they smell like an aromatic lemon.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:15:32 am »
 I have some trees growing here in Mo that I was told were "prickly ash" I tried a bow from one and found it less than desirable,(hard to find a straight one) but these trees look nothing like those. Not real sure what these are now.......Back to the guessing board I rekon?

I'll try to get some pics up for you guys to tell me what it is.