Author Topic: Goldendale knap in  (Read 2120 times)

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
Goldendale knap in
« on: May 17, 2009, 05:36:27 am »
man that was an experience. Great friendly people, all of them willing to help with any facet of knapping. learned about 5 completely different techniques to shape and flake, and dozens of tips and tricks to use for spalling, setting up platforms and striking angles etc. sooo much fun. i made one point the whole day, worked on it for a while then wandered around watching and asking questions repeated. oh and my stepdaughter made some heart shapes with mahogany and chert from debitage piles. she is hooked, and won over a good deal of people at the k/i. its getting late, ill upload more photo's later, this is the dacite point i made today. tomorrow ill post some pics from the knap-in.

thank you
Dustin D.
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: Goldendale knap in
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 09:07:46 am »
Dustin:  Looks like you are on your way and that is a very good job on the point!  Did you higrade some knapping materials from the knapin?  Thanks for sharing!  Were any of the fellows there members of Primitive Archers?  Post some more pictures.  What you will find is that everyone has his own way of knapping and you will also find the techniques that will work for you and will some day become your signature!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 03:00:46 pm »
 Nice !  you corner notch that little beauty and mount it into a good shaft,add some fletching, Whoo Hoo...you will be there. Good work.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 03:08:36 pm »
Looks good Dustin. This stuff's addictive ain't it ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 03:39:30 pm »
Dang it! I missed the Goldendale knappinn again? Nice point Dustin! Your on your way!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 03:09:23 pm »
thanks guys. Yah David, in august there is a whidbey island (spelling)  knap in im planing on attending. here are some more pics from goldendale.

my stepdaughter working on a point

this is the final product of a 10 min knap. everyone started with a rock they drew numbers for. pretty awesome watching them work
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 07:09:13 pm »
I'll see you there! I attend every year but never seem to get back through the year to knapp with guys up there on the north end of the island. I'm on the south end!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill