Author Topic: Yellow Poplar?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Anaconda 12

Yellow Poplar?
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:31:24 am »
Has anyone ever used this tree as a bow wood?  I have some growing around me and it is nice stuff, very straight and knot free, it looks like it would make a nice selfbow!  I think I would probabbly have to sinew back it though what do you guys think?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Yellow Poplar?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:36:45 am »
Poplar is not a good candidate for bows but makes very good arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 01:06:04 pm »
I wouldn't say that you couldn't make a bow from it, but I would say that I wouldn't try unless it was for a challenge. It's lightweight wood. Like Pat says, it does make excellent arrows. Anywhere that tulip poplar is growing, there is probably much better bow wood also growing. Try hickory, white ash, locust, mulberry, persimmon, hophornbeam, black walnut, maple, or any number of others before you try the poplar.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 02:14:37 pm »
 ;D  ha ha ha ha ha ha ,  no seriously!!!  just kidding.  any wood will make a bow if its long enough or wide enough.  dont waste your though.  poplar is about all i make arrows from though.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 02:26:43 pm »
Alot of bows were made from it,as far as I know,they were all longbows and were backed.(This is what I have read) I used it to make buckets,tubs and butter churns,I liked working it,it was nice wood and as the others say,its fairly light,strong for as light as it is though.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington