Author Topic: Punch Notching  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Punch Notching
« on: May 18, 2009, 08:56:04 pm »
Just curious if anybody punch notches an if you have any tips. I,ve been expermenting an have mixed results, been using a flatten out steel nail thats notched. I seem to be getting to big of C flake almost like an overshot flake, maybe to much shoulder on nail or to agressive with strike. Any tips or ideas are appreciated, Thanks Bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Punch Notching
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:08:51 pm »
That's something I need to play with. I've tried it a time or two, but never really got anywhere with it. I'd like to learn how to do it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:29:35 pm »
hey bob,i have been playing around with that and i get the same result with the c shape flake....i mainly work obsidian and dacite....and i have to watch it so i dont hit the rock to hard..i have blown out some ears..i think thats the nature of punch notching...i use a small copper rod thats flattened on one end like a screw driver...i really like notching that way even if i get some ears that blow out...i just straiten them up.john

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 12:21:02 am »
Played some with it. I use flattened copper rod. The notch in it is pretty light,just enough to grab the edge. Blowing big c's might be that your platform is to strong or you are putting to much angle on the punch. Ya gotta keep the punch cleaned up also.

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 12:27:19 am »
Yeah, I've done it a little bit.  Like everyone says, you gotta be careful about hitting your punch too hard....I've ripped ears off by doing just that.  I just use a nail and it works pretty well, although I'm no expert. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 06:53:15 am »
i have better luck with antler. platforms should only be lightly abraded. since i went back to not using copper ive broken way fewer pieces
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 07:51:07 am »
 I've been playing with it also. But rather than punching towards the point, I chip it in by hitting in the other direction. Kinda like backing in. Charlie, stonefacescar, on PaleoPlanet got me to doing this.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 08:24:45 am »
I punch about 50% of mine depending on the type of notch.I use copper or horse shoe nail.Like Timo said keep the burs and such filed smooth on the notcher.If your getting big C's your trying to remove to much material or your base is too thick.Before you notch run some long thining flakes in the area to be notched.The thinner the peice the lighter the tap to remove the flake,more control etc...Have fun
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:36:46 pm »
Hey , Thanks for all the tips. Mullet I,m sure going to give your style a try. Thanks again Later Bob

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 10:17:17 pm »
keep in mind. to square you notch.. after each flack. if the notch is not squared and you try and remove a flack from a V shaped platform your punch with grab the sides of the V and expand out to the sides instead of striate in.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 11:31:06 pm »
   Like Jessie said, even if you punch it in backwards you have to clean the sides up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 05:43:00 pm »
Jesse, Nice to hear from you, an I,m sure I wasn,t squareing up my notches, Thanks for the tip. Later Bob