Author Topic: good flakes or bad flakes  (Read 3211 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

good flakes or bad flakes
« on: May 20, 2009, 09:32:42 pm »
i have tried several time to make a good flake and can get one about the size of a arrow head but i don't know what a good flake or a bad flake look like i know some of the techneiques to get flakes but i have a difficlut time deciding on which one to use. i will get some pics soon to show you guys what i have gotten. ooo and from majsnuff you ain't knappen if you ain't bleeding

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: good flakes or bad flakes
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:00:13 pm »
anything straight enough with the right thickness can be a point in my book. all the pretty flake patterns arent important if its sharp and you can get the arrow its on to fly true
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:03:31 pm »
i got so photos of the flakes.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 10:04:44 pm »
here is one more flake and all my tools

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:39:00 am »
well i am real new to knapping myslef
and i have found that it is better,atleast for me,to by slabbed material,less waste and i dont
have to try and spall.i just waste perfectly good material when i do try to spall
i have made some nic  stuff from slabs of obsidion,and i have only been doing this 4 months now.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline redwasp

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:39:22 pm »
The last flake in the series of flake pics looks useable for a small point.  Try, if it breaks it breaks.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:11:20 am »
thanks every one

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 09:47:52 pm »
Copper boppers are a little hard for obsidian. I learned this just recently. A hammer stone would be better to spall it out. All those flakes are usable, but they may be small bird points. Keep practicing and you will improve. I have found many helpfull tips just by reading posts here and on You Tube. Work on it and if they break learn from your mistakes.
Good Luck
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!