Author Topic: war bow specs?  (Read 6113 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

war bow specs?
« on: May 22, 2009, 01:36:00 am »
hey guys i am new to the war bow desgin and i think i will give it a try. i have a hickory stave that is 6 feet long by 13/16 inches deep by 1 5/8 inches wide. do you think that it can become a war bow. and if so what would be the dimentions. i have idea on what the arrow needs to be. but no the bow. i got some picks to help.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rod

Re: war bow specs?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 10:03:29 am »
That's not a stave, it is a sawn board and not a particularly suitable one at that.
A brief search of the website using the keyword "stave" will no doubt turn up a few pictures of suitable staves.

Rod.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 11:37:37 am »
I'd turn that hickory board into a few backing strips, and get my hands on some yew or osage, and make a warbow out of that.

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 02:17:28 pm »
Hi 65x55 swedis,

If you take a look at the "back street bowyer" on my web site - www.alanesq.com
I think this will tell you all you want to know about making a bow from this type of wood

although making a laminate bow is a lot easier - it depends how much money you are planning to spend?

If you are in the U.K. I know someone who sells ready glued staves at very reasonable prices - ideal for a first try
We are not allowed to link to suppliers though so send m a P.M. if you want details

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 03:04:42 am »
hey thanks to all this really helped. alan i looked at your site and i have started a hickory war bow. i keep you posted as it progresses

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 10:20:58 pm »
hey here is some picks of the war bow it has a strong bend already and has me worried that i might not be able to make it as strong as i want! :-[ but if that is the case it might turn into a english long bow instead :P but i hope it will be ready soon. here are the pics

[attachment deleted by admin]