Author Topic: Ideas for next months point  (Read 16086 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: Ideas for next months point
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 06:59:52 am »
or just send the pieces to billy for birds  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline xin

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 08:10:01 am »
Cowboy, Those are some bad looking hands. I see a lot of old scars and enough new cuts that I figure you're a couple of quarts low on blood.  Nice point, even if it did snap on you. Praise superglue.

Offline billy

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 11:20:52 am »
Hey Jamie,

I don't know if I have a favorite point type.   I like those Columbia River arrow points and Gunther barbed points with the long barbs, but I don't have a favorite. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 10:11:06 pm »
Spent some time this weekend working on points.  Here's a couple clovis types I knocked out.  The larger one is made from Georgetown and the smaller one is heat treated Edwards chert.  I used an elk antler billet for 95% of the knapping....and a copper pressure flaker for cheating...uh,...I mean trouble spots. ;D

I think they might be a little thick?  I don't have any pictures of the side view of the originals.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 12:42:50 am »
Lookin good Patrick!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 04:40:47 pm »
This was the first point that I tried to replicate.  All the others were just triangular, something with an edge that may take game.  I see after reviewing that I need to concave the base.  If you look closely you may be able to see the number 1 and 2 on each side. They represent the order of the sides that I fluted.  The first seemed good.  The second I really made sure was WAY below center line hoping that it wouldn't snap but and the result is the small flute. Any other comments please let me know.

Bill

Offline redwasp

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 08:15:04 pm »
If I get the peroria in the mail I'll try this challange but I have tried with obsidian and broke them all (4-5) just made me respect the talent of old even more. Not that I'm ant good but you would think I would make at least one. If I ever do it will go in a case.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 09:03:52 pm »
Well, at least ya got one made without it breakin Bill ;D. Looks like the challenge has already started ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 12:38:30 am »
Look perty good to me. Just need to study some pics to get the shape a lil closer.

yea  Paul I rekon the game is on now, I guess we should announce it?

I worked down a piece of basalt tonight.Not sure if I like the stuff or not? ??? Got one good flute then miss hit the second one, and cussed. >:(

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 07:37:22 am »
tim your talking about the south western basalt right, not the nasty connecticut stuff. do you know where to get the southwestern stuff, cause i really like that stuff.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Timo

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 07:55:00 am »
Yea jamie, It was the sw stuff, I got ii from Pebblepimp over on PP,we did some trading at Osage knappin. He told me that there were truck loads of the stuff down there.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 12:53:07 pm »
I think so Tim - kinda jumpin the gun a couple of days but everybody's really gettin fired up for this one, aughta be good ;D. I'll get a thread going here in a minute.
 I'm still struggling with that second flute - did it three more times this am. Didn't break anything in half but just absolutley crushed the second one. Need to cool off and try again, darnit :D.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 04:26:37 pm »
You guys are missing the beauty of an internet based point picture contest.  No one's going to see the "second" flute.   >:D

I may just stand a chance.   ;D

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 04:50:55 pm »
Folsom! Prison...that is!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill