Author Topic: Cherokee D-Bow  (Read 4973 times)

kyboy555

Cherokee D-Bow
« on: May 22, 2009, 10:45:20 am »
I am fairly new to Primative Archery, but I am very interested in Cherokee style bow and arrow as related to southern central and eastern Kentucky.  Could some members please post some detailed photos and info on the Cherokee black locust and Hickory D-Bows?  I would greatly appreciate any and all info and pics, because I would like to build a bow that would have been used in this area.  I also plan on using river cane for the arrows and would love to see pics of those with the 2 fletch.  By the way this is an awesome site, it has inspired me to want to try a lot of primative style projects.  Keep up the great work. ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 11:06:27 am by kyboy555 »

Offline TRACY

Re: Cherokee D-Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 11:33:43 am »
Welcome aboard. Try using the search option as there are past threads on these subjects

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 11:39:55 am »
Hi kyboy,  Here's a link for a build along for 2 fletched arrows.  There are posts with photos also, if you do a search.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,13025.0/topicseen.html

I'm in Richmond.  Just curious as to where you're from in Central KY.
Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:45:18 pm »
There are several good sources for Cherokee bows. The Traditional Boyer's bible volume II and Al Herrin put out a book totally dedicated to the subject. Also as has been stated already there are several threads in this site on the subject. 
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 01:17:56 pm »
If you want to make an exact reproduction, I recommend Jim Hamm's book:  Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows, and Quivers, Volume I.

The book has very good illustrations but no info on how to build one....that's were you need to research the threads on this forum and get a good book on bow building.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

kyboy555

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 03:03:45 pm »
Thank you all for quick responses.