Author Topic: crude point  (Read 4200 times)

Offline TRACY

crude point
« on: May 22, 2009, 11:31:59 am »
I picked up some obsidian at the Classic along with a ton of great info and demos from some very gifted and talented folks. I wanted to post some pics of a small, crude point that I knapped since the Classic. I know I've got a long ways to go, but would appreciate any comments/criticism. The camera has been my first critic in showing the detail of steps and hinges that didn't seem  so bad to the unaided eye :o. Thanks and try not to laugh too hard :D

Tracy

[attachment deleted by admin]
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline DanaM

Re: crude point
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 12:00:46 pm »
Nothing wrong with that point Tracy :) It looks thin enough to haft and sharp enough to kill. Well done eh
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:05:48 pm »
Not a thing wrong with that point Good Work !   I was knapping points for weeks before I turned one out as nice as that one.(Maybe my 50th point looked as good) I would bind that onto a shaft in a minute.  Keep going,the more rock you break,the easier it gets. The prettier they get,the more blood you spill.(Your own) ' Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 03:17:18 pm »
Thank you Frank and Dana, appreciate the encouragement!

Tracy

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 03:18:12 pm »
I think that's a really pretty point!  Honestly, there's something beautiful in a piece of artwork that has some imperfections.  You're more able to relate to it I guess.  When you see points that are perfectly flaked over a ground surface and there isn't a single flaw in it....it looks machine-made.  It looks fake.  It lacks character and humanity, so to speak.  At least I can't relate to it.  

It's like when you find authentic points and you can see some step fractures on them...you can tell they were made by an actual person, not pressed out by some damn machine.  I've killed a number of animals with imperfect points, and not one of them looked at the point and said "That point is kinda ugly, so I'm not gonna die."  You know what happened?  They died!!!  QUICKLY!!    >:D  >:D   >:D
Marietta, Georgia

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 03:47:36 pm »
Nothing wrong with that point. As Billy was saying, I've found hundreds of authentic points that were nowhere near as nice as that one. Some people like form over function, but if you really want to get downt to the nitty gritty. It should be function over form.  Keep on chipping and you'll see them getting thinner and bigger as you learn more. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 04:02:41 pm »
Thanks Billy and Saw Flier! Funny you both mention authentic points to refer to. I am constantly looking at my found points and trying to learn from their design. This is truly an art form. Thanks

Tracy

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 04:34:14 pm »
Tracy, Thats a great looking first point Your  Notchs have those nice C flakes. Make sure an keepyou first one an later when you kinda get down on yourself pull it an see how much you have improved. My first cream colored football point was so bad anything I did was a Improvement. Looks real good now just keep right on learning. Later Bob

Offline Wildcat86

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 07:24:53 pm »
That's a fine looking side notch to me. It would take down any game any day. ;)

PeteDavis

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 09:26:09 pm »
Better 'n my first that's for sure

Offline redwasp

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 09:42:15 pm »
nice. keep it up, that'll cause a leak.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 11:08:48 pm »
That is a fine looking point Tracy.  Good Job.  If you're like me now that you made one, you won't be able to stop chipping. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 11:19:43 pm »
  Yep Tracy,  like everybody else said, that's a good looking point. My first point didn't even come close to that one. When you get around talent and good instruction, it's 10 times better then books or yutube. You can't get better than hands on help and questions answered when you ask.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 08:14:39 am »
like its been said above, fine point. and i agree with billy on the human point. im ruining points now because i keep trying to get them perfect and super thin rather than excepting a couple flaws. :P
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 02:39:54 am »
That is a fine point Tracy for a first, lot better than mine. The enjoyment is in the challenge and learning.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.