Author Topic: Boating and Carp slaying with Wolf Watcher..  (Read 8606 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Boating and Carp slaying with Wolf Watcher..
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 11:50:11 pm »
Mike, shoot'in them carp is a blast aint it! Me and outbackbob went out saturday afternoon for a couple hours and got three of them a piece and we both missed a few shots too....what a fun way to spend a afternoon!
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 12:16:16 pm »
 Went out again with Wolf watcher and josiah.. we got 87 between us will post pics soon.. hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 12:56:29 pm »
Good shooting Hawk and Josiah, I might try to get out after them this afternoon. Do you have any tips? Looks like you just wade and stalk? Do you use lines attached to the arrows? I have read that these fish die easily and can be retrived with out a cumbersom line. Also have you tried these fish on the table, every one says they are full of bones, but I don't see how they can have different bone structures than trout or pike that have more bones than bass or crappie. I guess I will have to try some to get my own oppinion. You could do as the Native Americans showed the Pilgrams and use for fertilizer.  We used to catch them  by the busshells in Texas as they always bit and got big. By the way the economy is going we might all have to subsist off them as I know they would outlast big game by far.    Kenneth
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:59:52 pm by Little John »
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

coyote pup

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 01:05:01 pm »
I get the feeling Hawk's not eating these fish. Not just killing for target practice are ya Hawk?  :'(

Offline Ryano

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 01:25:32 pm »
Its not the bones Kenneth. They taste pretty much exactly how they smell......like fish slime! Saying that these things dye easy couldn't be anymore untrue. I carry a tomahawk to club them once I get them in the boat, I've smashed the heads off of them and their still flopping around in the bottom of the canoe. They can survive for literally hours out of the water with hole shot clean through them. I've tried cooking them several times, it is edible if you were starving but its defenetly not to tastey..... :-\

coyote pup, you could kill as may of these fish as you can and it wouldn't even effect the population. They spawn a new crop every summer and they grow very quickly and almost nothing kills them especially once the get to a certain size. You have to try to control the population some how.

Offline Little John

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 01:28:19 pm »
Well they are a trash fish and not good for the native fish habitat. They are kind of like prarrie dogs, I kill every one I get the chance at on my property, and don't feel obligated to eat them.  I was just wondering if they get a bad rap as far as table fare goes. Does any one have experience with eating these fish? I have heard that they are like salmon if canned, Canning just seems like a lot of trouble if they can be used in other ways.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Little John

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 01:45:12 pm »
Thanks for the report Ryan.  I have heard it both ways terrible or ok. I have heard also it depends if they are from fresh running water or stagnant dirty water.  I know you are  right that they take over so fast they can't be thinned out, much less eradicated. I wish I would of had a few to have planted with all the trees my wife has been planting.    kenneth

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 02:08:24 pm »
As for eating carp, the Europeans consider them a sport fish and good table fare ??? They are fun to catch on a hook and line as they fight like hell.
Here on the great lakes they get real big but they are also on the do not eat list as they collect huge amount of toxins. They are an invasive species
and are prolific spawners, also they generally spawn after other fish and in the process of spawning they stir up the silt which settles on the eggs of gamefish and smother them.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 09:41:24 pm »
Me and dad made up some dough bait and caught a bunch one summer when I was about fifteen. We were just catching them for fun but took some home and preassure cooked them (bones and all) then added seasoning, crackers and eggs - fried em up like salmon patties. Wern't too bad ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 07:48:39 am »
Coyote pup, as has been said, carp are not native here, and the introduction of carp to our waters was one of the biggest ecological blunders in the history of our ecologically-blundered-up country. They are extremely destructive to the environment-if I could kill every one of them in North America today, I certainly would. And Kenneth, they taste just about like Ryano said-not good eating at all, and I love fish. They are edible, but so is grass and pine bark......:)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 08:47:43 am »
Hillbilly's points are right on target.  Where we were shooting the carp was in one of many shallow coves on a big lake.  When they spawn the carp move into these coves by the hundreds.  Their numbers are devastating to the native fish.  I suppose as far as eating them it would depend on the time of year.  When they have spent some time in the deeper clear water they might be OK, but during the time of spawn I would rather survive on most anything! :-\  The game & fish will poison them when they take over a lake and that kills all the other species.  It takes those fisheries years to recover even when replanted! The birds like them and we can use them for bear bait in non grizzly areas.  They are tough!  I think my kill count would have doubled if my arrow would have penetrated every time one was hit.  You can actually see it glance off, especially on their head!  Trying to shoot them is one of a stick bow archers best challenges.  Wish you could have been there to try your hand at them!  a/ho Joe

Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Little John

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 10:07:07 am »
Too bad we are no longer allowed to bait bears in Colorado, What a perfect use for these fish. The best we can do for bears is to hunt over legally killed gut piles or other natural food. Like Josie Whales said buzzards have got to eat the same as worms.   Kenneth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 10:07:46 pm »
 anybody save the skins for bow backings? they look kinda neat.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 07:22:56 am »
I think you would have to pull the scales off one at a time with pliers, and the hide is thick and tough, don't see why they wouldn't work though
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 12:58:00 pm »
Common carp have no pattern to them like grass carp do. I tried it before it just looks like scaley raw hide, not pretty.