Author Topic: Migrating tiller  (Read 2900 times)

Grunt

Migrating tiller
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:05:31 pm »
I have just finished a hickory backed hickory. The bow is 66 inches N to N and pulls about 47 lbs at 28 inches. It has a arrow shelf cut out and is 1 5/8 for about two ft in the center tapering to 1/2. This bow is confounding. When I brace her the tiller seems off a great deal but after sitting for ten minutes she evens out and the tiller is good. She started off at 70 inches and I got her too light chasing the tiller around so I piked her and got some weight back. I am 63 so I like bows in the 40-50 range. I have about sixty arrows through her now and she still takes ten minutes of bracing to settle in. She shoots good, nice and flat. Anybody else ever run across something like this?

Offline Dano

Re: Migrating tiller
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:26:18 pm »
What's the unbraced profile look like? You got a lot of reflex in it?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:42:55 pm »
i have had this in bows in the past
in my case it was the style of stringing the bow
changed to push pull style of stringing the bow and no more whacked tiller on bracing it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 12:00:17 am »
   My first suspition would be bracing tecnique, second choice would be slightly high moisture. Third choise would be bow was possibly overworked before it was ready and wood got a bit rubbery. Steve

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 07:53:51 am »
Dano, bows got some reflex in it as I glued up the backing Perry style. I step through to brace but the loop is always on my bottom limb. Lesson learned with this bow. Get a high brace asap and walk away for 15 minutes before digging in.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 10:26:30 am »
yup get awat from that step thru method
either use a push pull method or a stringer

with the step thru method of bracing (in my opinion) one puts more stress on one limb oer the other limb,this causes the uneven brace
after a few shots the bow stabilizes and looks decent again.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 02:35:37 pm »
I've never hard that happening in a completed bow but I don't do wooden backed bows. With selfbows or backed bows I've had that happen initially if I didn't work the limbs in after wood removal. Jawhe
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 03:11:00 pm »
I'm with George,never had it happen to a completed bow,(dry wood,and good tiller).I use the step-thru,around the knee, at the handle, bracing method  on everything,(longbows,flatbows,shortbows,and RD bows), except recurves,where I use a bow-stringer.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas