Author Topic: A run of the mill board bow  (Read 5228 times)

Offline Little John

Re: A run of the mill board bow
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 09:30:27 am »
Nice bending bow. I had a glue on riser that I was worried about, I wrwpped it with gut hafting material set with TB III glue. I like it pretty good how it turned out and am sure it will never pop off.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 09:53:09 am »
You can pin the riser with dowels and then wrap it. Did I give you directions on another  site? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 12:32:21 pm »
Yeah Jawge, you gave me some great directions over at Paleo Planet.  I put in 4 dowels yesterday, resanded the handle and reapplied the finish.  I'd like to try an arrow rest and strikeplate for this one too.  I have some nice thing jute string to wrap with, just need to go digging for some thick leather scraps.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 12:18:41 pm »
Well I found some leather scraps (from those little squares of leather you have on the back of jeans) and made an arrow rest and strike plate.  I glued the strike plate and three layers on before carving it all up.  I wrapped with jute twine then singed off the little extra fibres like if it was a bowstring.  The handle now smells a bit like strong bacon  ;D.  I just hope Manny hasn't patented this kind of handle.

Getting her braced (with a new 8 strand double reinforced loop Flemish I twisted up) I heard a crack :-\.  The other side of the handle (thick side) now has this big crack running across it.   I think Fir is incompatible with my incompetence.  I'll be sanding both sides flat and gluing on a thin lamination that will feather out somewhere on the limb.

I have a fir riser glued up on another floor tillered bow I shall be planing off as soon as I can.  I'll be sticking to hardwoods from now on.

The starving grad student with too many hobbies.