Linked Events

• New England Primitive Skills: June 13, 2009 - June 14, 2009

Author Topic: new england primitive skills gathering  (Read 15140 times)

Dreadroot

Re: new england primitive skills gathering
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 05:25:24 pm »
gotcha ;D

Offline Dane

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 06:37:35 am »
I didnt take many photos, but here are some shots of the event.

It was absolutley a great time. Jamie and the Algonquin Archers always do a great job. There was more than enough to do. The club had nice red elm staves ready for making bows, hand tools of all kinds, and lots of expert advice to help novices and seasoned bow makers.

There was split ash basket making, fire making with bows and hand drills, a blacksmithing demonstration, flint knapping, string and cordage making, and shooting. I brought some cane atlatl darts and got to see how tough they were with a bunch of kids using them (they surivived), and saw some beautiful wooden bows being made and already finished and being shot. We set up a target and did some hawk and knife throwing (and an axe), a first for me and a lot of fun. The Maine Primitive Skills school staff were there and alll great people.

Andy, from that school, did a edible plants walk Sunday afternoon. I found out what mugwort looked like, and that mullen makes great hand drills, and learned about a few other plants that are edible and have other beneificial properties.

I ended up driving about 800 miles between the two days, as I didn't camp, but brought some friends on Sunday, and every mile was well spent.

So, thanks to Jamie and the entire club, the Maine folks, and all the particpants. Great folks from all walks of life, ages, and backgrounds, which is probably the best part of these kind of events. It opens up your world and how you view it.

From the PA crowd, besides Jamie and myself, Rick was there, and pretty much never left one spot around the knapping ciricle. I tried to get him to make a bow, but naw, he was happy making sharp little pieces of stone smaller and smaller. :) Also, two really cool teens were there. One posted here on this topic, and forgive me for not recalling your name.

Dane

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 06:38:47 am »
More shots.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 10:01:36 pm »
thanks dane. i'll get some pics up this week too.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 10:16:33 pm »
Dane-
Great pics, I had a really good time.  Sorry I bugged out early on Sun. I got to missing the kids too much  :'( and got rolling.  Sorry I couldn't pry myself away from the chipping.  I think I have a sickness. ;D.

Jamie-
Did you get any pics of the "flintcr@ppin" session.
Traverse City, MI

Offline jamie

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 06:08:45 am »
no pics but i think it was video taped. when i see wilson ill ask if i can get a copy and post it
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 10:31:54 am »
Looks like a good time  going on in the North East. Thanks for the pics Dane.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dane

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 12:45:36 pm »
No problem, Jamie.

Rick, the first step in recovery is to admit you have an addition :) Good to see you and hang out with you, and yeah, I was bummed to have missed you. I got there about 15 minutes after you left Sun. morning.

Thanks, Pat. This event is always excellent.

Dane

Offline jamie

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 06:26:01 am »
some of my pics.

wailing on a piece of quartz. later i turned to ct. basalt. when i realised the bruise on my leg wasnt quite tender enough  ;D

mark young of maine teaching basket making

dane hard at work

mark young had me pound out ash splints. thats some tough work right there. i actually got a blister.

the best place on earth. the knapping pit

it wouldnt be primitive without kids in mud

waterbury, ct

Offline Timo

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 08:03:30 am »
Looks like a good time....Cool pics.thanks for posting them,I always enjoy seeing all the different skills.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 08:27:37 am »
Looks like a great time,and Jamie kept his shirt on. :) Got to get up there some day.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Dreadroot

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 01:49:12 pm »
thanks for all the pics posted, and any of the "gifts" I may have recived, I had a great time and can't wait for the next one  ;D

Offline Dane

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 06:30:07 pm »
Great shots, Jamie. Thanks for those.

Dreadroot, it was good to meet you and your buddy Drew (hope I got the name right). Hope to see you next year.

Dane

Dreadroot

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 06:50:50 pm »
yup, you got the names right, and yeah, nice to meet you too, definately looking forward to seeing you again next year