Author Topic: June Point challenge,"Clovis" hand fluted.  (Read 17580 times)

Offline Timo

June Point challenge,"Clovis" hand fluted.
« on: May 29, 2009, 08:00:27 am »
Since several have posted a few pics already I figure we can go ahead and get this months started. Those who have posted can go ahead and repost their points here so we can keep them all together.
I'm looking forward to this one.(I guess) ;)

Another note: How bout we keep track of how many we can make, and how many we break? ;D Might be neat to see what kind of ration we can get?

Here is a good example of an original.

http://www.lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/6bclovispoint.htm

Another note: post the material ,and tools used, please.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:27:24 am by Timo »

PeteDavis

Re: June Point challenge,"Clovis" hand fluted.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 08:20:50 am »
My first fluted Clovis ever....

I'll try a big 'un now.

PD

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 08:25:34 am »
I luv that lil point Pete. Is that movac?

BTW how is the stone work coming along?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 03:19:54 pm »
Oops, sorry about that Tim. Didn't see your's ::). You started it, so we'll go with yours ;).
 I finally made something that resembles a Clovis. Now I think I'm getting the knack - time for a better'un ;D. This is Georgetown flint, made with copper tools. I almost pressure flaked out my little flutes, will have to keep that in mind next time.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 04:57:06 pm »
Awesome point there Paul!...ain't that Georgetown stuff sweet?  I wish I had more of it....(hint, hint).  ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 05:55:53 pm »
Dang Paul, that looks nice! (for starters) ;) ;D

Bout time for a new pressure flaker insurance item ain't it? That one has seen better days. :-\

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 09:55:20 pm »
Have tried many times to get a flute, but I think I would fill up several pages of the broken ones. ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 10:46:14 pm »
Nice points,
Cowboy-  Does Georgetown need heat treating or can it be worked raw?
Traverse City, MI

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 06:58:40 am »
both rick. i have some for the gathering you can work with, or do you already have a stash in your end of the world kit? ;D

nice points guys. my ratio this far is 3 to 1. 3 dead and 1 survive. all hunting size points. the one problem im having is not really finishing the point before i flute it . so the ones that do survive are uglyyyyyyyy!!
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Timo

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 07:52:17 am »
Jamie, not haveing the point finished is not a bad thing ya know?  At least it is less taxing on the ego to break one that hasn't got all your time envolved? I tried last night....this thing eludes me so far.

3 preforms made,(one of which I was very proud of) and 3 broke......sigh....... :'( I think my main problem is the angle and not being able to hit it just right. Pi$$es me off somethin fierce I tell ya..... >:(

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 08:53:43 am »
Yup, Patrick - that is some sweet stuff. I even tasted it once :D. I'm headed back to that guys ranch today, I think mainly to get away for an afternoon. Most of it works well raw Rick - some would do better with a little heat. This is my fifth attempt, first one broke, next three just would not flute, this one kinda worked. I'm about to figure out how to set it all up.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 09:47:46 am »
one problem i find to is the tail end needs to be kept pretty thick for setting up the platform. i keep losing a lot of length when i set up my platform. and if i screw up i have to remove another half inch or so each time i set up the new ridges and platforms.

tim thats why they are ugly . as soon as i get a decent biface i go after the flute. then i have to clean it up. and two of them i lost a lot of the flute when i cleaned up the edge
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 10:36:47 pm »
both rick. i have some for the gathering you can work with, or do you already have a stash in your end of the world kit? ;D

nice points guys. my ratio this far is 3 to 1. 3 dead and 1 survive. all hunting size points. the one problem im having is not really finishing the point before i flute it . so the ones that do survive are uglyyyyyyyy!!
No stone in the end of the world kit.  Just Guns, ammo and coffee. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 09:53:06 am »
nice points. look really good. man I am envious.

tried to flute my first ever last night. No luck. didnt break but didnt flute either... just keep getting shorter and shorter.  :-\

guess I need to study up more on how to setup that nipple. and the back ridge.

n2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 11:02:33 am »
First pic is self exp. The wht burllington piece was a killer piece of rock,w/ red dna attached. Made me sick to break it. Tried to keep the tip strong before the fluteing but still failed. Bad angle I think.

The basalt point was almost finished before I tried to flute, went fair on one side and then the second side ....well I hit it too fat.

[attachment deleted by admin]