Author Topic: June Point challenge,"Clovis" hand fluted.  (Read 17587 times)

Offline Timo

Re: June Point challenge,"Clovis" hand fluted.
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 11:07:37 am »
Got this one done last night. Raw burlinton, antler percussion and copper flaker.

After I had my initial percussion done I straightend my edges,and then pressure flaked both side to set up a better ridge,and clean the areas so the flutes could travel. One went in and stepped into some concrete,the other didn't travel much at all,but I left it alone.

I think that one should try very hard to get a good ridge built into his percussion work,clean up and then flute. We'll try again later today.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 07:37:35 pm »
Looks good to me Timo! That basalt now - where do ya get ahold of some of that? I heard it's all over Hawai, but I ain't planning on driving over there anytime soon ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 09:20:30 pm »
finally got one i like. ill post the garbage later. paul's georgetown. all antler. still have to finish the tail end up and put the edge on but it didnt break. yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 09:22:34 pm »
thats a beauty tim. i cant manage to get more than broken debris when i work burlington. to delicate for me. i always manage to snap it as im finishing it up
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Timo

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 09:38:31 pm »
Nice job jamie! Looks good to me! ;)

I see a lil quartz pocket in there?

Offline cowboy

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 09:46:15 pm »
Nice one Jamie! I hear ya on the garbage. I gave up on clovis's for the time being and am delving into thinning :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 05:14:22 am »
yeah i may try another later in the month but i want to start making stuff i can use rather than a debitage. im glad we did this though. its a great way to learn end thinning if you ever need to remove that big booger from a point that just wont go away. or if you want to ruin a nice point and make some  scrapers.  ;D

waterbury, ct

Offline redwasp

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 08:47:05 pm »
wow, Jamie sweet point. I cant make one >:( good job everybody (taking notes)
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline jamie

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 10:22:07 pm »
dude you should see how many i killed to get that one . best thing about this challenge is im sorta getting used to the fluting. used it today on a cahokia point to remove a big booger i couldnt pop off

waterbury, ct

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 10:05:05 pm »
Nice points guys,  That fluting is quite impressive. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 08:10:05 am »
Well here's a couple attemts at the almighty clovis,the flute didn't travel well in these two.The coral one is raw,I don't think they started heating rock till later in history.I gave it a good whack and that's all I got out of it both sides are the same.The texas point was the same thing thought I had a good set up just a pityfull flute

This one came out better,strange that I can do better on the smaller ones you'd think the nipple would be harder to hit.

Well I have a bunch of knife blades that need handles so I'll be in Knife mode for awhile,maybe give this another try later,we have a whole month
Hapy fluting
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Timo

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 08:18:00 am »
Those look good Bone, Not sure why flutes don't travel well on some. Ridge,energy lose, bad place in rock, angle of hit,hand speed,and amount of force involved with the hit,platform prep......Lots can go awire? ??? ;D

I'm gonna play some more with it also. I think building a ridge into the point with percussion,giving it  good convexity prior to any pressure work is key,(along with everything I already mentioned) ;)

Offline cowboy

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 10:51:59 am »
Them look good Roger - bummer about the flutes. That third one came out good though. I got tired of breaking all my hard earned bifaces - think I'll pick back up on the clovis's later too.

Offline jamie

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 07:23:56 pm »
i wouldnt of had the stones to try and flute those. excellent work

waterbury, ct

Offline ducosniffer

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 11:39:24 am »
Well it ain't very good, but here is my first try at a Clovis.  I got two flutes, but really they are just thinning flakes, not deep enough.  I'll keep trying.