Author Topic: June Point challenge,"Clovis" hand fluted.  (Read 17581 times)

Offline Timo

Re: June Point challenge,"Clovis" hand fluted.
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2009, 07:02:14 pm »
Looks perty good Shane! Raw Nova right? ;D

You've come along ways grasshopper. ;)

Offline Timo

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 07:32:00 pm »
Worked on a good piece of raw Texas last night Nice two tone color (perd I think)  and thought I'd finish it after work....Shoulda left well enough alone.
Was turning out well so figured I'd give it some flutes..

The first flute went very well,I was impressed.The second one....Not so well. I put the piece back together and you can see I had a thin spot where is snapped.

So I took the tip back to the shop and again,not kowing when to quite I fluted one side great,then the other...... ::) :'(

Somedays? :'(

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 08:46:39 pm »
  Well, here's my first feeble, effort. I new this piece of Rainbow was gonna be iffey on the fluting, but I had to whack it. I had it prepped too good. Right where the flute dove to the left was a bunch of ash bubbles. I was hoping I could blast through it.  It dove so deep and made it soo thin I was afraid to smack the flat side, so I set up a small platform and pressure flaked that side. It's not a Classic, but it is sharp and will still mount on a shaft easy.

Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 09:45:43 pm »
wow ed thats a beautiful piece of rock. never seen rainbow before. tim ii have about ten of those on the floor of my truck  :P
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 10:08:46 pm »
 That rock is pretty, Jamie. I was trying to catch the light to bring out the purple's and green's.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 10:41:26 pm »
Gawd Tim - some days your the bug huh? That's why I moved along to easier things for awhile, and that thing was looking mighty good! That is some purty stuff Eddie, and your point didn't break - yahoo ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 11:11:07 pm »
The rainbow ob is some awful perty stuff. Good to see someone can build these things without breakin them. ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 11:52:58 pm »
 Tim, I guess I didn't hit it hard enough. ::) ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2009, 08:04:12 am »
Timo I usally break 3 then call it quits for the day,that sucks but you didn't give up that's the main thing.Eddie that looks good,that rainbow stuff gives me fits.Well this challange went so well whats next,cumberlands >:D........NOT!!!!!!!!
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline jamie

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2009, 08:20:06 am »
one question on the clovis. am i supposed to be getting the hinge at the end of the flake or not. sometimes i do but usually i just get a clean taper. also if i get the hinge i usually break it  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Timo

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2009, 08:34:48 am »
Jamie, Most of the clovis That I have seen had a step, never carriying past the center of the point, although some were ever so slight. The western clovis were wider with a more distinct percussion scar pattern, and  had a short flute,that usually went in and stepped. Just doit bro! ;D

Offline jamie

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2009, 08:36:21 am »
alright ill see if i can break a couple today  ;D

waterbury, ct

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2009, 01:02:27 am »
This month is more of a challenge than I bargained for.  I broke one made of raw Pedernales while trying to flute the first side and the other broke at a hidden vuggy spot in the other piece of coastal plains I was working. Practice, practice...more like makin' driveway gravel...

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Allen7

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2009, 01:41:40 am »
I had a very hard time with this one also.  I messed up on 4 attemps, and used up a couple small obsidian nodules.  On this last one, it broke in half on the second flute - just like one of the other attempts.  So, I continued working the front half and made a short one.   The flutes are a little wide and almost identical on both sides.    So here is my shorty.

Allen

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2009, 09:01:10 am »
Looks good Allen! I think this has been a learning expeience for us all and a very challenging challenge ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.