Author Topic: June Point challenge,"Clovis" hand fluted.  (Read 17586 times)

Offline Hardawaypoints

Re: June Point challenge,"Clovis" hand fluted.
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2009, 12:12:16 pm »

As lame as this one is, it will be my entry to the June challenge.  No telling how many rocks I blew up trying to get one done.  I had to hit the flute twice and chase the edge with a pressure flaker.  The other flute only ran about 3/4ths of an inch.  It would work on the end of a spear, but it is not the best example of this point type I've ever made.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2009, 12:22:03 pm »
looks like a keeper to me,I seen this challange as a wake up call to alot of us as we make our favorite points to realize that one of the oldest points is by far not the easyist to make.Look forward to the new months challange and everyones entry's.I'm saving all my challange points to put in a case.
good looking point,I'm sure it will work
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2009, 01:38:24 pm »
That one looks fine to me Jim! I'm going to try them some more in time - got a few idears now that I'm hoping will help.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2009, 03:55:26 pm »
I figure since I haven't posted one yet, I might as well show ya'll this one.  I cheated on the flutes.(Ishi stick) ;D  I know it's not "correct", but I thought the rock was too pretty to break.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2009, 05:53:18 pm »
that one came out right Shannon! I'm thinking about your inner tube technique for my next one ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2009, 10:20:38 pm »
Jim, that's a nice one, sure nothing wrong with that! And Shannon, you make me sick. I think you've been knapping for twenty years and are just pulling our legs about just starting. :) That one's a dead ringer for those Redstone/Clovis points that had the multiple narrow flutes and pointy tips-looks authentic. Purty piece of rock, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2009, 10:39:16 pm »
Steve, I had the finest teacher in the world ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Timo

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2009, 10:45:29 pm »
Jim,I think that is a right nice piece! Love the material,looks like Reed springs?

Shannon, I second what hillbilly said.That is nice.

Offline Wildcat86

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2009, 12:41:26 am »
Nice points guys! What material is the last Clovis made out of?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2009, 01:05:08 am »
Wildat86, that's Sonora flint.  It's normally all blue. But sometimes out near the cortex, it's brown like that.