Author Topic: yet another yew war bow  (Read 26595 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: yet another yew war bow
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 07:57:43 pm »
Pat if yer doin horn tips please remember which way they go on.  ::) :o ;D

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 12:09:50 am »
It is a beast Steve. May have to hook up a block and tackle or I have a chain fall I could use.
Dana, I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it!  ;) Justin sent me some horn to go on it so I don't want to offend him. ::)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 01:01:50 am »
Hey Pat, dont let that funny yellow sawdust contaminate the yew! looks good, did you remove much sapwood? I dont worry about the sapwood unless it is real thick say over 3/8" especially on a heavy weight bow, I dont think it is detrimental to performance...as if one could tell with a 100+ pound bow. be careful on making the tips narrow too soon, I have seen some of the elb's that ended up "whip ended", get the tiller close first and leave some depth to the tips when you narrow them then remove to tiller. are you going to put on horn tips? looking forward to seeing the completed bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 09:48:15 am »
JJ, The sap wood was naturally thin, 1/4"-3/8", so all I had to do is remove the bark.  So far the tips are the stiffest part of the bow. I had better watch out not to overdo them because the bending doesn't seem to register when wood is removed. I have only used a Nicholson #50 and a cabnet scraper for the tillering process so it's going slow. I tries other more coarse rasps and draw knife but I have better controll with the #50 and scraper.
   I will be making horn tips from some horn Justin sent me. Now that it is bending, I am also looking forward to seeing the completed bow...if I could only shoot it.  :(
     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

duffontap

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »
JJ is right, you the final tapering of the tips should be completed toward the end of the process.  I get the tips down to 1/2" and put the horn tips on and then tiller the bow, finishing on the taper of the last 12" of the tips.

J. D. Duff

Offline heavybow

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 04:00:16 am »
 Pat thats a nice war bow you will have fun. marlon remember a true war bow is to be drawn to 32". ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 10:19:35 am »
I'll leave the last 12" alone until I get near the end of the tiller process. Maybe even start playing with the horn tips to get them fitted.
Marlon, To get to 32" I'd have to hang on the string and have someone pull on my feet.  ::) I'm lucky to get 26" with any bow. I will try to tiller this one out top 32" though.   Pat

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 10:31:50 am »
Justin sent me some horn to go on it so I don't want to offend him. ::)    Pat
I wont be offended Pat. I might cry, but I wont be offended.  :'( I think you are playing it right.  NICE AND SLOW.  I have been watching from the sideline. If you screw up, Ill be right there to jump in and make fun of you.  ;D So DON'T.  Justin
PS Its looking good.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2007, 10:50:53 am »
Maybe I'll have a shootable for the Tennessee Classic. There ought to be someone there that will be able to pull it.  ::)...or 2 or 3 of us could do it...maybe!   Pat