Author Topic: Is this quartz  (Read 5270 times)

Offline boo

Is this quartz
« on: May 30, 2009, 02:10:51 am »
I think its quartz, i found it here in North Carolina. Also is this considered good rock?? Im as green horn as you can get to Knapping so bare with me please. I did manage to knock off some pieces that looks like its ok stuff. Thanks boo

Boo

Offline DanaM

Re: Is this quartz
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 06:58:57 am »
Hhard to tell from the pictures but it does look like quartzite. Tough stuff to knap use wood billets and soft hammer stones.

Good luck eh
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 09:03:15 am »
Yup boo, that's quartz in my book. Only place I ever found a big bunch of it was in Raleigh, NC. So I figure it's abbundant out there. I'm pretty spoiled with the rocks I have here but wouldn't hesitate to try that stuff if there was nothing else - some of these guys are actually good at it :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 09:49:59 am »
actually thats pretty nice quartz. if your green its gonna be a tough rock to work. i know hillbilly and james are gonna drool when they see the pics ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 03:48:17 pm »
Boo were did you find that? Is there moer? Lets go fill up your truck with the rest.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 08:42:18 pm »
Hey Boo, that's quartzite and kinda hard to tell from pics but it looks like some pretty decent stuff. I've found a lot of Savanah River points made out of stuff that looks similar to that. Can you bring some of that down if you come next week? I'd like to check it out.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 09:41:12 pm »
Boo, it looks like it. Here's some more. When you see the stacks on this one point that ABO man did you won't feel so bad when you do it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline boo

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 12:04:24 am »
Hey Alan ill bring you some. The place i found this rock was littered with it. I only brought one back with me to try. The good news is, I lease the place to hunt and its only ten minutes from the house. Nugget , we will go down this week and see what we can get. I tried to make a point out of one of the flakes i had and almost had one knapped out until it broke in half. But after working it, with my limited experience, i think i can make a point out of this eventually . Thanks for everything, Boo
Boo

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 12:43:59 pm »
That looks like decent quartzite, Boo. Eddie, did you find those down there in gatorland? I find Savannah Rivers and Guilfords that look just like that up here. And aboman didn't care about stacks, he just cared about a sharp edge. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 02:18:22 pm »
  Steve, most of these points along with some musket flints came from NC and Maryland.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 05:49:15 pm »
Eddie
 Quartz looks crumbly is it? I'm not much of a knapper but it looks like a chalenge.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 08:19:56 pm »
 Ronnie, what little quartz I've played with is pretty sharp and tough. I've picked up some when I was at Chris' that was brittle and crumbly with freeze fractures. The yella stuff hillbilly has is nice.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 07:31:30 am »
Ron, it's anything but crumbly unless it's rotten or freeze-fractured. You gotta draw back above your head and whack it like you're trying to kill a snake to get a flake to pop off. :) Some of that waxy white stuff is as sharp or sharper than obsidian.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 07:48:41 am »
 Ronnie, that clear point I'm holding up to the sun is still very sharp after all the abuse it's been through.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 09:41:52 pm »
James told me what I had at my place is quartzite, I am going to bring a piece to nuggets Sat to see what it will do.

Trey