Author Topic: Yooperite(quartzite) Point  (Read 6431 times)

Offline DanaM

Yooperite(quartzite) Point
« on: June 01, 2009, 09:08:11 pm »
Made this one today out of some of our local rock. 1.5" long and 1" wide weighs 71 grains. Used wood billets, copper boppers,
copper pressure flakers and horseshoe nail tool to sharpen it. It has a pretty side and an ugly side, kinda like me eh ;) :D

I think next months challenge should be quartz/quartzite any point style, see what all you guys that are used to the the cooked easy knapping rock
are capable of doing with some tough ass rock >:D ;D

Enjoy eh :)

Also included a pic of Bocephus, my pride and joy, he's 1 year old now and the best
dog I've ever had, thanks again Pappy for honoring me with one of Hanna's pups :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: Yooperite(quartzite) Point
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:43:16 pm »
Sweet point from one tough A$$ piece of rock.  The only thing is, I only remember you having an ugly side  ;D.  Just kidding eh, nice work.
Traverse City, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 09:46:12 pm »
Wow Dana, that is some tough lookin rock - yuck ;D. Good point from it though O:). I just happen to have some big ole knarly chunks of quarzite from NC, think I'd be up to this challenge - maybe 8).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 10:19:10 pm »
very nice dana. that looks like some pretty decent quartz too. me like
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 12:30:54 am »
Send me down some of that tough a$$ rock andI'll hit it Dana! ;) Never worked a piece of it before, I live in the land of good rock ya know......I suspect ifin I ran across a piece of that stuff here I would  call it "leaverite". ;)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 07:20:28 am »
Thanks guys :) Tim I need to find a better source for this stuff, I've been taking it from drainage ditches in the city park
and I've about exhausted the supply :'( Brought most of it to Pappy's and I bet its still sitting on the ground there
unless Hillbilly and James picked it up ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 07:27:35 am »
You done good, Dana. That would be some good stuff if you could get some big spalls of it-it's hard and grainy, but it's more homogenous than most of it we find here. I did grab a couple pieces of it at Pappy's.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 07:46:07 am »
Good looing point from some tough looking rock. That dog is looking good,glad he has turned out so good for you. :) and you are more than welcome.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 07:51:26 am »
 If we do quartz next month I want some of that yeller stuff, Steve.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 10:30:54 am »
Eddie, I'll send you some if the river ever goes down enough to get to the rockbars. It rained every day for about a month here, and the river is still way up.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 03:24:20 pm »
I got a copy on that one Eddie,if I can't get some from someone here I recon I'll have to hit on a bowlin'ball :P.
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 06:07:36 pm »
  Roger that, Roger. :D If I get it, you're welcome to some. Steve, I'm in the same boat. I want to go after some Coral on the Alafia River but we had 14 days of straight rain. over 20", second most for May in Florida.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 07:36:45 pm »
I am up for the Quartzite challenge. We have plenty of that suff all around here. I would be happy if I could get a point like Dana's
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 08:16:34 pm »
Beat on some more today and the quartzite won ::) Found a big ol black chunk on Lake Michigan last night, it was the only black rock on miles of dolomite bedrock shoreline, figure the shove ice pushed it up. Anyway it was real grainy and couldn't get any decent spalls from it, broke my best big hammerstone on it :'( and bruised the crap out of my leg, lesson learned is don't miss ;) Sure was fun my son and wife were watching and think I'm freakin crazy ;D

I'm all for a quartzite challenge, I need to go find some more as I'm pretty much out, I also need some bigger clubs anyone have any dry dogwood in the 6" diameter range they can trade :)

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 10:01:10 pm »
 Sports Authority or Dicks Sporting Goods sells baseball bats.
Lakeland, Florida