Author Topic: Dinosaur hunting and gittin' juggy wid it  (Read 12776 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Dinosaur hunting and gittin' juggy wid it
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:59:36 pm »
Went down to Chris Cade's (Mechslasher) in SC this weekend, and had a blast. We did a bunch of bowfishing and got quite a few gar and one carp. That was my first serious try at bowfishing, and I'm definitely hooked now-just like hunting, and those gar are more like a big lizard than a fish. We got a couple that were just shy of four feet long-these gar are big, mean critters, and a challenge to hunt. We also each got a black-phase female, pretty freaky looking critters when they're coal black.  Took me awhile to get that refraction thing figured out, but we finally got so we were nailing them pretty regular. The old ash selfbow did good on the fish-we're gonna try 'em with primitive arrows soon and see how they do. We threw out some juglines and caught a nice mess of catfish Friday night-I just got done snarfing down a bunch of cat fillets, hushpuppies, and fried taters, I'm about to pop. Saw ospreys hunting, a bald eagle, and a newborn fawn in the woods along the lake one morning. Great trip and a great time-life is good down in the Heart of Dixie.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:03:51 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Dinosaur hunting and gittin' juggy wid it
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:02:38 pm »
Looks like to much fun.. ;)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:06:13 pm »
Couple more pics, we forgot to take a pic of our mess of jugged-up catfish:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 11:12:15 pm »
Oh man you guys are living the good life.  Looks like a blast and Those catfish fillets made me hungry just reading about them.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:25:52 pm »
Looks like a fine time Steve! your out there doin it - I need more of that :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 11:32:50 pm »
Looks like a good time. You got a few bow backs there too.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 12:30:53 am »
sure looks like fun. Sorry I missed it...and catfish fillets too? :o  Looks like some nice bow skins there!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 01:13:03 am »
Did you Guys eat the Gar??? I like Gar when it's cooked right...sorta like Walleye....Looks like you had a Blast...wish I was there....and tell Chris it's nice to see that He does own a pair of Real Britches.......... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 07:16:32 am »
Pat- I should have guessed that you like CATfish....;D Those gar skins would look good on a bow, but they're just too thick and stiff to work, I think. It's a shame too, because the biggest one was almost four feet long. I skinned a couple (with tin snips and a hacksaw) and the skin is literally like a sheet of tin. We bounced arrows off of several that weren't hit straight-on-they have some serious armor, and the scales are an integral part of the skin and won't come off like they do on other fish; you'd have to snip each one off with tin snips. Might make good arm guards or handle wraps though-I'll have to see what I can come up with from my skins. Those scales are razor sharp, too. When they're mad, they flare them out and start whacking at you with their tail. I dropped one in the bottom of the boat, and while I was watching out for the teeth, (it bit me on the knee anyway :) ) it slapped my foot with its tail and laid the side of my foot open like you had hit it with a stick with a handful of razor blades glued to it. Haven't tried eating any of them yet, but the backstrap meat looks really good-more like snake or something than fish. I've heard that it tastes like lobster.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline cracker

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 07:18:19 am »
Looks like a fun time fellers wish I was there.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 07:41:29 am »
Man that looks like a blast,Glad to see live is good there also. ;) :)I haven't done that in a long time but got to get back at it.I like catfish to. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 07:51:07 am »
Pappy, you got gar down there? Yeah Chris has got me "hooked" on catfish jugging, too. I was already hooked on eating them. I stopped on the way home and bought some foam noodles and circle hooks.....
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 07:58:48 am »
 Looks like ya'll had fun. I wish I could have made it. I was too busy at the lease trying to get bit by a big ol' mocassin to make it. Steve, those Gar were good eating size, ya'll missed out on some good meat. I think it taste between lobster and scallops. I make a dried jerky out of it that is good too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 09:22:08 am »
Yep, them are good eating size gar - kinda reminds me of gater tail. I saw somewhere that a guy had made a quiver outa one of em - it looked kinda OK ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 10:06:28 am »
Chris:  Looks like those gar would be twice as hare to shoot as a carp!  Good job and great fun!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight