Author Topic: A couple "newbie" points  (Read 4249 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
A couple "newbie" points
« on: June 02, 2009, 09:59:05 pm »
Here's a couple of beginner points.  The one on the left is burlington, and the right one is some kind of flint?  I found the burlington tough to run good flakes in,  and really crumbly.  The flint flaked well, the darker color easier than the gray stuff.   I'm really surprised how sharp that one turned out.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Traverse City, MI

PeteDavis

Re: A couple "newbie" points
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:14:37 pm »
You are on your way Rickster. About where I was one year ago this month, when I started knapping after wanting to for years.

That cooked Burlington sometimes requires a stout platform or it will pancake on ya'.

Keep gettin' it, pardner.

PD

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:14:26 pm »
Yep, yer gettin her done Rick. And probably all abo? I admire you guys that don't use copper - now that I've got all the basics down, think I'll start heading down that road. Nice pernts :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 11:18:43 pm »
Looking good Rick ;)  I also have trouble with that cooked rock. I can run long flakes, but if I don't grind pretty heavy it'll hing on me. 
 I like ryolite about as well as anything I've ever tried.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 11:44:01 pm »
Looks perty good to me. Lots better than my first one for shore!

There are lots of forms of burlington,some will be slicker than greased owl snot, while others are just chaulking/gritty, similar to 220 grit sanpaper. Some will be half and half.I hate the half and half stuff.You'll be cruising along thinking "hey I got this one whipped and all the sudden things go awire. >:(

The course stuff does require a stronger platform.

Offline redwasp

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 12:22:01 am »
nice points, did you find that flint on the Island? Wondering cause I have some friends that live in Huntington. They told me they had all kinds or rock in thier yard. Long Island was formed by a glacier right? Thought there would be alot of different stuff to knap there.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:24:48 am »
They look great to me,very nice points. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 07:28:54 am »
They look good rick, if ya have any extra rock bring a few pieces when ya come up in July eh :)
I have some but pretty limited >:(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 09:21:36 pm »
Redwasp-  You are right about LI being formed by a glacier, but not too much to knap here, just quartz (I'm not ready to try that yet ;))  Huntington is about 1 hr west of me.  If you ever get out this way let me know we can get together and bust up some rocks.

Dana- I'll bring some stuff up in July, especially if I make it to that Bald Eagle Knap In. ;)

Cowboy-  Not all abo yet.  They were both copper percussion and  copper pressure,  After those I started messing with the antler percussion, just trying not to bust so much rock into oblivion.   
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:32:28 pm by ricktrojanowski »
Traverse City, MI