Author Topic: The Blue Ball Jar  (Read 3778 times)

PeteDavis

The Blue Ball Jar
« on: June 02, 2009, 10:07:04 pm »
  ...a most unlikely source of knappable material...

I told my neighbor I'd give him 2$ a pop for clean Blue jar bottoms with no concavity. He has delivered two so far. He has the time and likes to scrounge.

I layed stone for a solid 8 hours today...so please, go easy on me!

PD

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: The Blue Ball Jar
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:11:20 pm »
Very nice, that is a really pretty point.
Traverse City, MI

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 10:58:30 pm »
that point just sent me a telepathic message....hmmmmm...ooohhh.....  OK!  It just told me it wants to spend the rest of its life on an arrow, and then shot thru the RIBS OF BAMBI!!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 11:11:05 pm »
Pete, you've really taken up with this knappin thing. that's a beauty! as usuall :). Seems like just a few months ago you were struggling a tad and now your turning out pretties like this regularly. Another nice one ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 11:25:03 pm »
Having cut my teeth (and hands) on glass. Besides bleach jugs, blue jars are my favorite glass to work. 
 That looks nice.  Don't underestimate the killing power of glass either.  Pappy drained a spike last fall with a syrup jar. 8)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 11:38:08 pm »
Well Pete after seeing pics of you mason work, I would never doubt that your knapping crafts would be any less? Very nicely done..

Glass makes me bleed to bad. ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:27:02 am »
Very nice Pete.Beautiful points,look deadly. :) All they need is to be mounted on a shaft
to be complete. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 07:30:09 am »
Great lookin point, I like it :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Pahinh.Winh

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 03:15:06 pm »
Gorgeous points - form, color, proportion..  My ancestors would be most impressed.  Since these don't spend a lot of time in the animal, this isn't a big consideration, but I ask - has anyone else heard that the blue color is from lead in the glass?  Pilamiyaye / thanks.  Pahinh.Winh

PeteDavis

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 07:21:41 pm »
I have read at the hoosier site, that "Ball Jar Blue" is the result of the particular sand used by the Ball company

PD

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 07:25:23 pm »
thats a beauty
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 09:43:07 pm »

Pahinh.Winh; Lead is usually used to make red color.  Used to be a lot of it in lipstick, makeup, etc.  Then they used cochineal for cloth, and lipstick and other cosmetics, and now they use something else. ;)

Wayne