Author Topic: Bracing techniques  (Read 26919 times)

Offline Dane

Bracing techniques
« on: January 06, 2007, 09:53:41 am »
I was wondering if anyone can address the topic of how you brace your bows, particularly in the tillering phase, and especially with higher weight bows. Honestly, this is one of my least favorite things to do.

If anyone can comment, I would appreciate it.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dano

Re: Bracing techniques
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 10:25:58 am »
Dane, with higher weight bows I use a stringer, most of the time the push pull method.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 10:49:19 am »
I do the same as Dano. If I can't comfortably brace a bow with the push/pull method then I use a stringer. During the tillering process you want to stress the bow as little as possible so a stringer should probably be used. I don't always do it though.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 12:44:41 pm »
I always do the step-through thing. A lot of people frown on it for some reason, but I've never had a problem. The push-pull thang feels awkward to me, not to mention dangerous.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 01:01:22 pm »
  I used to use step-through method-dont anymore--now use a stringer all the time-its safer and easy for me at least-like Hillbilly never liked that pull-push thang !--------------------------------

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 01:26:01 pm »
While making a bow I use a stringer because I am frequently stringing and unstringing. Otherwise I use the push pull. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 01:59:49 pm »
I use a stringer, this may sound unlikely but I've had issues with using the step through method, on bows that looked like the tiller was starting to be equal after stringing using the step through method the limb that was up seemed to look like it was taking more set, could it be that when you flex the limb to get the string loop on you're stressing it more than the lower limb?
VB

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 03:08:43 pm »
I always use the step through method also. I make sure to put the pressure on the center of the riser.  Like VB said I have put to much pressure on the upper, but by making sure the pressure is on the center of the riser not higher I have eliminated that problem.  I don't understand the stringer thing though.  Maybe some of you guys could explain yours a little more and a few pictures would help.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 06:14:35 pm »
With those bows I can brace I use the push/pull method. I will on occasion use the step thorugh method but I don't really care for it. With those bows that are very heavy I use a jig I made for bracing
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 06:22:34 pm »
Justin, A stringer is a long cord with a leather sleeve at each end. The tips of the bow goes in each sleeves, you stand on the center of the cord and pull up on the handle of the bow. This bends the bow evenly so you can slip the string over the top nock.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 08:17:48 pm »
Thanks Pat, that method I have seen, but most of my strings have small enough loops that they wont fit over the limb, only the knock.  That also eliminates the push pull method.  I thought maybe Marc would post a picture of his jig, or anyone that has another method.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 09:01:22 am »
Justin
Here is a jig I made for bracing recurves. It works quite well for heavily reflexed recurves that are heavy draw weight. It's also usefull for testing the balance of the limbs for the first bracing because you can back the dowels off 1 hole at a time and slowly get the string to take the pressure of the limbs.

I have another jig that I made last year for longbows but the pictures are on my PC at home, where I'm not right now. I will post them when I get back home
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 10:43:32 am »
justin, make  your own strings. Shape the nocks to fit your stringer. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lowell

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 11:02:18 am »
The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.

Could someone explain the push-pull method?

Thanks, Lowell
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Dano

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 11:36:53 am »
Lowell, for an unbraced bow, you put the lower tip in the arch of your foot (I rest it on the sole of my shoe) with your right hand on the handle and your left hand under the upper string loop, you push sliding the string loop toward the tip and simotaniously pulling the handle puting equal pressure on both limbs. Simular to floor tillering. To unbrace just reverse these steps. Clear as mudd huh? ;D

BTW be real carefull with the upper limb it will smack ya in the head if you slip, and make sure the string loop is seated before you release.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 11:40:10 am by Dano »
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada