Author Topic: Bracing techniques  (Read 26930 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bracing techniques
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 11:40:01 am »
Lowell, Basically...with the lower limb against the instep of the right foot(for right handed), Right hand on the handle or just above it, you pull with the right hand while pushing the top limb away from you with the left hand and at the same time pushing the string up the limb until the top loop goes over the nock. It's easier to show than try to explain.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 11:57:36 am »
Lowell, the push-pull method is where you place the tip of your bow against the instep of your foot with the back facing you, put one hand in the middle and tug on it, and slide the string up toward the tip while pushing it away until your hand slips and the tip of the bow springs forward and gouges your eye out. This works especially well with static recurves.  (see instructions below)  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 12:54:09 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 12:05:42 pm »
Yeah, that the way...but like everything else, concentrate on what you're doing and take it slow.
  Steve is just trying to show off his new Photobucket . LOL
   This can really be a concern when bracing a bow this way. If I have any doubt about bracing a bow this way,ie, too heavy or an unstable design, I'll use a stringer. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lowell

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 12:16:23 pm »
Thanks guys.

Hillbilly, After the demo by the stick figures, I can't wait to try it!!!!!   LOL
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 12:19:39 pm »
Hillbilly,  I saw a guy with a recurve just the other day that looked just like that picture.  Well he was a little skinnier than that.  But it split his brow right open, about 30 stitches.  I don't dare use that method because of all the people who have told me they have broken their finished bows by letting it slip.

George, I make my own strings, but I like to keep the loops just big enough to go over the nocks and I usually have little wood above the string grove. In fact that is part of the reason I don't like the push pull, I always push the string right off the top.

Marc, thanks, could you tell me a little about how you get the bow on it.  Do you just hook the limb on one dowel and rest the handle on the center then push down on the other limb to get it under the dowel.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline lowell

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 12:30:16 pm »
I believe I have done it that way but didn't have a name (push- pull) for it. Being able to see the stick figure drawing made asking a stupid question worth it.

I tried it on a light pound bow and worked very good. I have 2 eyes yet but will keep trying with higher pound bows.

Thanks again, Lowell

My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2007, 12:32:40 pm »
I am working on a 150# longbow right now and the only way I can brace it is to set it between two benched and kneel on the handle, have someone else slip on the string. I can do a very low brace by kneeling on the handle with the tip on my carpet, Steve

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2007, 01:22:54 pm »
I use an extra long string for tillering until it's worked enough to confidently brace it.  But then, I tend to undershoot my target weight a lot.

Offline Dane

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 09:06:28 pm »
Sorry to get back to this so late, but thanks for all the input.

I have been using the push-pull method most all the time, without knowing it was called that. Can anyone explaine the stepthrough method?

That jig is pretty neat, Marc. I'd like to see the longbow one, when you can post it, of course.

I don't know about you guys, but I always feel a bit of trepedation when I brace a bow. Maybe that is healthy, like my fear of power tools. Not using them, but knowing what can happen at a table saw if my mind wanders a bit. Yuck.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2007, 09:23:55 pm »
  Dane- I use a table saw BUT I wear a pair of welders gloves to give me a split second---"hoy boy--"all power tools are very dangerous-like you said if you mind wanders plus they are loud !................

Offline snedeker

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2007, 01:25:19 pm »
Am I the only one who uses the knee on the handle method?

Dave

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 02:38:21 pm »
I guess I'm backwards from everyone else, my push pull method is as follows:

I place my right hand on the handle, left hand on the back of the upper limb, with the lower limb tip on my shoe top. I then push against the handle with my right hand while simultaneously pulling the top limb with my left hand (lower plam against top limb back) and sliding the top string loop into the upper string groove of the bow using my index finger and thumb.

Greg
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2007, 02:46:31 pm »
I'm with ya Dave. I place one tip on the outside edge of my right foot. Then my left knee against the handle and my left hand along the top limb and slide it up as I apply pressure with my knee. Finally I use my right hand to put the loop on the nock. I've found it works best for me this way. Plus I feel safer if I do slip at least the bow is going away from me. Oh ya then after that I pull the bow to half draw and then full draw a few times each just to make sure I even everything out if I did stress one limb more than the other. Just one more way among a long list of ways. Ya'll have a good day. Mike
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 09:26:14 pm »
What I do with the jig for recurves is hook one recurve under a dowel that is placed in the top hole of the jig. Then firmly grabbing the other limb at the recurve, firmly so that the bow doesn't twist around, I bend the other limb down to just past the matching hole on the other side and place the dowel in. I then just bend the limbs down to where I can brace the bow using the dowels to hold the limbs bent as I put the string on.

This is the jig I made for bracing very heavy longbows

[attachment deleted by admin]
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 11:23:17 pm »
Thanks for the info Marc,  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah