Author Topic: Bracing techniques  (Read 26921 times)

Rich Saffold

Re: Bracing techniques
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2007, 01:53:07 am »
Dave, I use the same method on bows over 80#'s and 6'..Done a few over 100#'s, and prefer doing this  over using a stringer on these bows since any material failure could be fatal :o I want those limbs flying away from me if something gives.

Rich

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2007, 01:54:44 am »
  AW-common' Rich-wheres your spirit of adventure-ha-ha-ha-ha---just kidding----bob

Offline Dane

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2007, 08:36:54 am »
What I do with the jig for recurves is hook one recurve under a dowel that is placed in the top hole of the jig. Then firmly grabbing the other limb at the recurve, firmly so that the bow doesn't twist around, I bend the other limb down to just past the matching hole on the other side and place the dowel in. I then just bend the limbs down to where I can brace the bow using the dowels to hold the limbs bent as I put the string on.

This is the jig I made for bracing very heavy longbows

Marc, could you explain how this jig works? I can't quite understand it...maybe it is too early in the morning? :) Thanks!
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 09:31:51 am »
First of all the longbow bracer has a 2x4 that spans across the 2 sides at the bottom, there's also a matching 2x4 at the other end but that's just to hold it together. This I use to screw the whole thing down a solid surface so it doesn't move when I use it. Then what I do is I hook the lower tip under the far end of the bracer, where you can see a half round cut out. Then I place the dowel between the string and the bow, the location of the dowel is approximately at the center of the bow. Then I simply put my weight on the upper limb and bend it down while sliding the string up till I can brace the bow. Very simple
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Dane

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 11:52:52 am »
Thanks, Marc. I get it now. This might be exactly what I am looking for.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 09:04:55 pm »
Marc, do you put anything between the back of the bow and the jig to eliminate damage?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 09:24:51 pm »
Justin
No I don't. The wood I used is nothing more than Spruce ply and Spruce is a very soft wood. I have not had any problems with the back being marked.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 09:58:38 pm »
This is how I do the push-pull. Lower limb nestled snugly into my left instep, left hand at the handle,
and my right fingers hold the upper string loop. I pull with the left hand and push with my right heel. I nestle the string into the nocks by feel. I am looking down at the ground. My face is out of the way.  That's the way I do it. If you  can't, use a stringer. I used to straddle the bow and use the step through until I was told  what happened to one guy when the upper limb of his bow broke. Ouch! :)Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dane

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2007, 10:58:32 am »
Jawge, I can vividly picture the results of such an accident, and since I don't want a career as a castrati, I think your advice is very good.

Dane

tesart

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2007, 12:45:01 am »
  Dane- I use a table saw BUT I wear a pair of welders gloves to give me a split second---"hoy boy--"all power tools are very dangerous-like you said if you mind wanders plus they are loud !................

Just a friendly warning from my own experience.  Welding gloves can do more damage than good.  I had gloves on while using a wood gouging wheel on a grinder and instead of nipping the end of one finger the glove got caught and I mangled 3 of them.

Tom

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2007, 07:51:10 am »
I string like jawge except just the opposite I use right instep and pull with my right hand and push the string in with my left,I use a stringer while tillering.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2007, 02:21:44 pm »

I'm using a different method yet...right hand on handle with belly facing me, left hand on upper limb and holding string loop. I push the handle with my right hand and pull with the left while sliding the loop into the string notches.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2007, 04:05:57 pm »
Greg's meathod is definitely unorthodox. I tried it at the Tennessee Classic and everybody kept telling me I was stringing my bow wrong.  ??? Different is not wrong, and Greg is definitely different.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2007, 11:04:43 pm »

Justin, now don't you go raining on my parade again! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2007, 01:30:45 am »
Not at all Greg. I'm sure jawge would love to see your meathod too. If the limb tip slips from your hand you don't loose teeth or an eye.  Justin

Hey Greg, I think I just figured out why you are the only guy from Tennessee with all his teeth.  ;D

SW Utah