Author Topic: Good stone in MD?  (Read 3262 times)

Offline nelben

Good stone in MD?
« on: June 04, 2009, 11:50:59 pm »
Hey everyone, I recently moved to Maryland. Does anyone know of any nearby locations for finding good knapping stone? Not looking for anyone to reveal their choice spots, just looking for some tips. The geology is quite different than what I'm used to in northern CA(chert) and central OR(obsidian).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:35:03 am by nelben »
62" Hickory self-bow
42# @ 27"

Offline redwasp

Re: Good stone in MD?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 10:13:39 pm »
good quality quartz there and some variegated, blue green, cream Jasper on the eastern shore in the form of cobbles and pebbles. Thats about all I can tell you about the lithic material in Maryland, There is probably more kinds happy hunting.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline nelben

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:39:44 pm »
Thanks. I think the lithic resources in MD are limited. The best I've found so far are references to rhyolite in the mtns near Frederick. Never used it, but heard it's tough to work with.
62" Hickory self-bow
42# @ 27"

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:42:26 pm »
Some rhyolite is excellent, some is like granite. Good rhyolite is my favorite rock to knap, hands down.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline backwoods preacher

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 01:46:59 am »
I don't know where you are in Maryland but in Western MD,at the Barton Archeological dig, there are several folks who do flint knapping and date Arrowheads, spear points etc.  They meet at the LaVale Branch of the Allegheny County public library.  I believe on 4th Monday of the month.  They would probably be of some help.