Author Topic: OK, got some glass and....  (Read 7057 times)

Offline Easternarcher

OK, got some glass and....
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:33:12 pm »
need some critique and advice as to how to get the flakes to run farther than maybe 1/4" along the face.
Again, these are just practice pieces. the long narrow one started out at least 3 times that wide! ::) I know I'm supposed to push down into the piece and kinda at an angle right, but it's difficult to get I find. And I'm realizing that I'm not abraiding nearly enough. I find I'm feeling for the platform to set the flaker.
Any advise is welcome.  P.S. no blood was spilled in the making of these points! :P Gloves rule!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: OK, got some glass and....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:50:50 pm »
Yer havin fun now ;). Your pushing the flakes straight down instead of inward and down. With glass, lightly abrade the edge just enough to dull up all the platforms along that edge. Then put the tip of your nice sharp pointy flaker on the delta's below center line along that edge and pop em off. Clear as mud huh ;D. With pad in hand and glass on pad, hold the piece where you can look down and see the edge. Put flaker on platform, push straight into piece and at the same time rotate the piece down and squeeze together with your legs - Pop.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 09:54:32 pm »
yup exactly like cowboy said,ive only been doing this 5 months now,and when i remember to do that
nice inch long flakes,all i have realy used so far has been obsidion.that technique works beautifully
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:55:53 pm »
Yer havin fun now ;). Your pushing the flakes straight down instead of inward and down. With glass, lightly abrade the edge just enough to dull up all the platforms along that edge. Then put the tip of your nice sharp pointy flaker on the delta's below center line along that edge and pop em off. Clear as mud huh ;D. With pad in hand and glass on pad, hold the piece where you can look down and see the edge. Put flaker on platform, push straight into piece and at the same time rotate the piece down and squeeze together with your legs - Pop.

Well, Cowboy, I kinda understand, and I think I was trying for that procedure but it wasn't working' for me....actually I likely had my platforms way too high, maybe even above center.(No, No that wasn't it) I was just not pushing into the glass enough. I've been setting the flaker on the top edge of the platforms....it that right or should I be right on the edge pushing into center??
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:59:44 pm by Easternarcher »

Offline cowboy

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 08:53:28 am »
Your platforms should be below center. Then depending on how much you've abraded your flaker can make contact even lower than that. Keep the point of your flaker nice and sharp and apply the pressure right on the very edge - then pop it like I explained earlier. Play with that for awhile and show us the results - practice makes perfect, and so does tonnage ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 09:04:00 am »
Cowboy, by "Deltas" I assume you mean the protruding pointier areas sticking out from imaginary true edge? Not the concave valleys right???

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:21:05 am »
Deltas look like a V place the tip of the flaker at the bottom of the V

Generally with glass you have a square or angled edge to start with so there won't be much in the way of platforms. You
need to zigzag the edge first, don't try for long flakes on the first pass, get the edge zig zagged, then abrade well and using the platforms below the
centerline push long thinning flakes

Here's a link to a tutorial that will help you out. :)

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/4009
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 07:53:21 pm »
Yes that's right. The protruding parts are the delta's.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 08:08:19 pm »
Have you seen the cone shape of a glass window when a BB hits it?  The shock waves go out from the point of impact at an angle.  When you flake an abraded delta the length of the flake depends upon the techniques cowboy and Dana explained and the angle you at which you apply the pressure.  You might try just making flakes and not worrying about a point until you can send a flake for some distance.  Good luck!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 08:12:05 pm »
Have you seen the cone shape of a glass window when a BB hits it?  The shock waves go out from the point of impact at an angle.  When you flake an abraded delta the length of the flake depends upon the techniques cowboy and Dana explained and the angle you at which you apply the pressure.  You might try just making flakes and not worrying about a point until you can send a flake for some distance.  Good luck!  Joe

YEah, Thanks Joe....I guess I had the angle all wrong.  Lots of work to do....It'll come cuz I don't give up easily!

PeteDavis

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 04:49:23 pm »
You'll move ahead fast flaking glass. Pushing into the piece is part of it, but glass is so brittle you need a good platform. Are you working from a square edge or a zigzagged edge? I have also learned (in 11 months) to clear previous flakes. What's the chance, one long flake could catch the butt of another, and drive it 5/8"ths into a hand? Good enough for me one time so far-you've been warned. Keep posting pics you'll get longer flakes as you go. Don't let them be weapons against the knapper! PD

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 09:00:46 pm »
Thanks Pete......warning heeded.
Well I had a 1/2 hour tonite so I broke a beer bottle just to try the advice already given here. No point made, but I discovered that I COULD get longer flakes "by doggie"!  I'd say 1/2 - 5/8" long....Since I was reducing this bottle bottom to crumbs anyway, I found I could completely remove the finish and had a surface completely covered by scars! I was so pleased and all I was working on was pushing into the center of the platform and popping the flake as cowboy says......

Well, I need a larger flatter bottom since these bottles were abit too concave for a newbie like me.

LAter.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 09:14:13 pm »
Man Pete, your doing some beautiful work! And after only eleven months - jeeze ;). Good deal Easternarcher! as already mentioned you should just practice on popping flakes from the edge, seeing how far you can make em travel without worrying about a point - thier's lot's of glass out there. Keep us posted.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 09:30:58 pm »
 A little more advice; every time you run a set a flakes, stop and abrade off the new edge and abrade the side to set up new platforms.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 09:48:49 pm »
i ate the rest of my pickles and got the urge to go try it. made 3 out of the jar bottom. wernt bad for my first try. they might work for rabits or something but they are far from perfect.
lets just shoot it