Author Topic: OK, got some glass and....  (Read 7050 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Re: OK, got some glass and....
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 10:00:02 pm »
A little more advice; every time you run a set a flakes, stop and abrade off the new edge and abrade the side to set up new platforms.
Yup, I remembered to do that more often. MAybe not enough still but I'll remember next time.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 10:03:54 pm »
A little more advice; every time you run a set a flakes, stop and abrade off the new edge and abrade the side to set up new platforms.
wait, im new to. what the heck dose that mean?
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 10:13:06 pm »
 There you go, Easternarcher, explain to recurve what we mean and you are on your way to understanding more, Grasshopper.  ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 10:33:41 pm »
wait, im new to. what the heck dose that mean?
To abrade means to rough up the surface a bit and take off the sharp edge along the edge of the delta where you set your flaker to take off the next flake. It gives the flaker tip a place to take a grip. There are several ways of doing that. Most use different coarseness of stone depending on how agressive they need to get with that edge. I've seen it done with the square edge of the  copper flaker tip as well. I've done both, but get best results with an abrading stone.

To Mullet:  :)Did I do good Master? :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 10:56:59 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D,Sounds good to me. If you understand it and can explain it, you can do it. With practice. ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline sailordad

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 10:59:45 pm »
i do believe you are getting closer to snatching the pebble from his hand
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 11:03:58 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D get plenty of band aids and super glue, the journey is just starting. ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 11:13:28 pm »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D get plenty of band aids and super glue, the journey is just starting. ;)

Yup! One question tho....how do I get the concave side of a bottle bottom to even out and match(sorta) the convex side of the piece? Seems I would have to take off more from the underside than the top correct? Since the invisible centerline is closer to the top than bottom? MAybe I'll look for more flatter bottoms - jars and bottles that is...... ::) ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 11:20:40 pm »
  Take your abrader and abrade and grind the lip till it is even and then grind at an angle on the flat side( the non-concave) to set  up your flakes and platforms.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 11:27:38 pm »
  Take your abrader and abrade and grind the lip till it is even and then grind at an angle on the flat side( the non-concave) to set  up your flakes and platforms.

OK, I think I got it.but what do you mean by"even"?  I assume that you gotta flake alot from the convex to the concave side to bring that line up if you know what I mean ..I'll review this when it comes time to try....maybe this weekend.

BTW, thanks guys...I resisted the tempation to knapp a long time, but I had to try it....One more ancient skill I wanted to learn.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 01:22:28 am »

When you snatch that pebble be careful.  It has some sharp edges...... ;D  Eddie likes to switch the pebble with a nice sharp piece of obsidian.  He really finds fun in just about anything...... ;D  I made some points yesterday, and had some really nice long barbs on them.  Uh, the key word there is "had"  I just can't seem to keep from breaking one side off!  I have quite a collection of em.  I guess I could say that I meant to do that, and call them Fish Points...... ;D
I need to learn how to make those nice " Punched " out notches.   ;)  Well you should have not given in to the temptation to knapp!  Now you are in league the rest of of us addicts.  I still can't seem to get long flakes consistently, but then again, I am using a variety of material.  Of course, I am still a newbie, but I am making some forward movement.  Especially when I cut the snot out of myself. ;D  I've even learned to make up new cuss words, when I run out of the usual ones.  Keep at it, you have some very talented people here that are more than willing help you advance.  I have Eddie as my pusher.  Unfortunately he lives about three hours away.  I need to get back over there and get a refresher course, and learn how to make those nifty little notches, and thinning, and percussion knapping.  Yeah I still have a long ways to go.  It is frustrating at times.  Especially when you see these guys on here and the amazing points, and blades they make.  You will start looking differently rocks, and find yourself wondering if there is a point of some kind in there.  Enjoy your addiction, and don't bother trying to give it up.  It's got ya! 8)

Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 04:46:32 pm »
k. gotcha. thanks for the info. and about the concave-ed-ness (new word  ;D) of the glass, use mikes hard lemonade and smirnoff bottle bottome. they are a little closer to flat.
lets just shoot it

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 11:57:45 am »
Go get yourself some obsidian from a pet/fish store where they sell it for decorative aquarium rock.  It will behave similar to glass and will teach you skills necessary when dealing with natural rock.  If you can handle bottle glass, you can deal with obsidian. All the rules with abrading platforms and pushing flakes toward the middle of the piece apply.  Keep that super glue and those band-aids handy. Good luck on your journey.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2009, 02:04:20 pm »
Go get yourself some obsidian from a pet/fish store where they sell it for decorative aquarium rock.  It will behave similar to glass and will teach you skills necessary when dealing with natural rock.  If you can handle bottle glass, you can deal with obsidian. All the rules with abrading platforms and pushing flakes toward the middle of the piece apply.  Keep that super glue and those band-aids handy. Good luck on your journey.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I never thought of rocks for aquariums! Great Idea!!!