Author Topic: Oblique flaking pattern?  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Timo

Oblique flaking pattern?
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:35:13 pm »
Something I have been playing with a little.  The pattern should run across the face and meet the other side,forming a diaginol pattern. Looking like the flakes go all the way across,when actually they meet  on the ridge. In this pic you can see how it is kinda suppose to look.The left side of the point makes me proud....  ;D The right side was a cluster mess. >:(
(so much needs learning with me) ;)

Was gonna redress but figured what the hey,it's still a nice point.

Anyone ever play with this pattern? Post pics if so.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: Oblique flaking pattern?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:25:58 am »
nice work tim. i get that by accident when i drive flakes all the way across on the easier stone and drive it through my palm. ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 08:42:06 am »
You have some very nice flaking goin on there Tim! I kinda played with it a little after watching a swoose vid but he does a fog and I didn't really want to invest in that kind of equip - I might do a little hand grinding though. He also used buff horn for the flaking and his did go all the way across. Beautiful points he made but it's on the back burner for me.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 08:54:05 am »
ya I really screwed up that right side......It's just like everything else.A good clean preform makes all the difference in the world. I guess I should comcentrate on that before expanding into other things? Ha.....

Might get a lil more time today,More rain, so in the shop I'll be. ;D

Gonna  set up a time this month to go to the quarry, so by the end of this month I'll have ya some rock ready to ship.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:40:36 am »
Just recently watched a series of videos on parallel flaking.  No fog on this one.

Here's the first video in the series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5vJFn77uL0&feature=related
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 02:57:40 pm »
James parker was trying to teach Tom B's boy Patrick at the TN classic how to do this.

from what I overheard he was stressing 2 things. One preform setup like you said Tim.
and secondly was grinding the heck (shearing) out of the edge and having it significantly lower  before making a pressure pass. He roughed up the platform as well. you know ran a stone down the length of the preform at a 45 deg. angle to really set the platform.

make any sense?

havnt tried it myself yet. looks really tough tho. Im still just trying to make bifaces.

later
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere