Author Topic: Bows for New Traders  (Read 154114 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Bows for New Traders
« on: June 11, 2009, 10:44:11 pm »
 I thought I'd give a little heads up for the new people on here wanting to trade. I've had some people call and email me about wanting to trade for a bow, or something valuable and wanting to know who these new people are.

When they try to check your profile, because it is your first or, maybe sixth post, and nobody knows who you are, you only fill in a post name and everything else is hidden. I can tell you, I would like more before I put an Osage, Character bow in the mail, paying postage and maybe insurance and hoping you are just a nice  guy. Also, if you have any questions, you need to ask. Save both of you some money shipping and reshipping stuff back. A recent trade cost me about $60 dollars in shipping, because of lack of communication. I could have spent less in gas taking it there. So, ask all the questions you need and save both of you some money and time.

What I'm getting at, and it's been said before, If you are new, and want to trade for the first time, give all of us trusting people more information.There is a lot of work that goes into building a bow. I know there are a lot of bows given away to people on this site by the great, benevolent people on here. But I can guarantee, not a one likes to be taken advantage of.

So, fill in your profiles, and I do have "The Book".

Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

Re: Bows for New Traders
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 10:53:39 pm »
well said

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 11:27:59 pm »
And I Second that.......and another thing.....Eddie does have "THE BOOK"..........and I only think that it is proper to fill in the Blanks too....who wants to deal with a Ghost....I would much rather know who and where a Person I am going to give...trade or sell something to lives....IS and something about them....rather than a Screen Name.........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline woodstick

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 11:40:10 pm »
good point i have been burned before on a trust deal not on this site but by well a so called friend, and it not good to loose a friendship or trust.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 12:02:44 am »
That's how I feel Eddie.  I don't put much stock in a member who won't fill in ALL the blanks.  Not saying they're bad people...It just makes me a little suspicious.  If I don't know them, I won't deal with them.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 04:22:35 am »
Well said.
I have always tried to let people know that I live in the UK when I trade, some are happy to send that far ( if they live in the USA) some you never hear back from, which is fine if not a bit rude.
Try and let everyone know in your profile or in the first emails that you send in a trade......
Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

richbat

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 10:27:05 am »
well i was one of those that didn't fill in the blanks,first time user. but now all is filled in,and will gladly give more info. if needed to whoever wants or needs it on a trade which i'm trying to do now. rich battistoni

Offline Rickd

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 08:10:38 am »
Ya know Eddie I`m just a tad offended..I dont know alot about selfbows and when we traded and I recieved the bow and the string kept popping off the upper limb I had no idea it was because the brace heigth was to low..I did communicate with you and at no time did you tell me to check the brace heigth..Sorry I cost you 60.00 but it also cost me to..Tell you what your a moderator remove my add and remove my membership as well..Nice you make it sound it was all my fault..

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 10:16:34 am »
 Rick, I didn't point fingers or mention names. I just pointed out some particular problems that could come up and some that have. You are the one that just added a name to it.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Rickd

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 10:24:51 am »
wasnt to hard to figure out who you were talking about being you posted a reply in my add about me costing you 60.00 in shipping on a deal that went bad so to speak..Might have helped alot if you had giving me the brace height at the time of purchase or told me to check it when I told you the string was popping off the upper limb but you didnt..Remember Eddie it cost me in shipping to..Could of all been avoided if you had sent the right brace height info with the bow or asked to check  me to check the brace height when I contacted you about the string popping off..

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 02:00:37 pm »
  I'm not going to get in a pissing war on here. I chalked it up to a learning experiance, hence the line of "better communication". If I recall the emails, I had one chance ti figure out what was wrong before you said send the knife back. Next time I will also find out if the person I'm dealing with has any experiance with archery equiptment. Like I said, a learning experiance.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 02:50:31 pm »
Anybody who knows anything about traditional archery, or chooses to find out, knows you have to set your brace height at an appropriate level. Not the bowmakers fault. If someone is interested, they'll spend the time to find out.

I think EVERYONE who joins this forum should enter all their info. It should be mandatory for trading on the trading post forum. If you're not willing to enter your name, etc., why not? I have not personally had any bad experiences with anyone on the trading post, but before I was willing to trade, I knew the person's info before I did.

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 07:57:38 pm »
f only there was a way to determine the knowledge base of the person you were dealing with. A greenhorn archer would not know about  brace height unless they were diligent enough to study bow tuning and mechanics. I think that most here would not consider themselves greenhorns.... if you feel you are a greenhorn...study and learn and grow... I also don't feel like anyone here should be put in a position where they are held accountable for the lack of knowledge in others. Yes, we are here to help each other learn but the wealth of knowledge presented, shared, and made available here for general use is a broad enough body of knowledge that any who seek an answer find one quickly or posts a new topic to draw an answer to the desired question.  Knowledge is power, Sharing is power, Blaming solves nothing. If you don't know what reasonable brace height for a given bow is (or even what brace height is) you obviously need to do a basic search on tuning up your bow. I don't understand why anyone would think a custom handmade bow would come all ready to go at idea conditions after traveling through the mail, possibly at different temperatures and humidities.  Any bow you ever get needs set-up from the simplest selfbow to the most commercial and overpriced parallel limb compound. It isn't a gun.... and after all even tguns need sighted in, tuned, maintenanced,and cleaned. Nobody gets to take a car back because the dealer didn't tell them to put gas in the car or how to change the oil.
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 09:58:48 pm »
  Very well said, OhioJohn, That's why I posted this thread, so everybody can add some input and maybe, educate and help everybody that is new to this.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 02:22:07 am »
Good points all!    I really like the trading post feature and hope all the people I've traded with feel as positive about the trades as I do.  The better the communication before the trade is completed, the better things work out.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers