Author Topic: Poplar Board to Arrow Shafts  (Read 9794 times)

OsageBender

Poplar Board to Arrow Shafts
« on: June 12, 2009, 08:25:24 pm »
While sorting through the wood rack at Home Depot today, I ran across a very nice straight grained poplar board.  I bought it, and plan to rip it down to 3/8" square stock, than plane out some arrow shafts.  I have never tried poplar for arrows, nor heard much about it.  How does it compare to other arrow woods? Is it durable, and does it stay relatively straight?  Thanks for any feed back!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Poplar Board to Arrow Shafts
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:59:47 pm »
I've made some poplar arrows, and they're pretty good quality if you start with a good piece of wood. I'd rate them above POC.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

gradog

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 08:50:48 pm »
I have made some Poplar arrows and was surprised at the toughness and ability to stay straight once straitened. My favorite arrow material is ;) Douglas Fir but Poplar is a very close second.  Since my source of Douglas Fir has dried up I guess Poplar is now #1.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:02:58 pm »
I've made some arrows from Poplar boards as well.  It makes good shafting.  Relatively strong and fairly heavy but still easy to straighten.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 08:55:39 pm »
I have made many poplar shaft from boards and also by reducing 3/8 dowels until the required spine is achieved. I agree better than POC. With any wood good arrows require straight grain. My favorite woo is Douglas fir.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 12:47:55 am »
Very easy to straighten. Mine liked to warp easily, but that may have been a sealing problem. Very durable arrow material.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 09:51:29 am »
I've used poplar to make 3/8" and 1/2" warbow arrows. Poplar was historicaly used during medieval times, and many poplar shafts were recovered from aboard the Mary Rose. It's good wood for arows.

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 01:56:16 pm »
Wondering how  much  total  arrow  weight these  poplar  arrows are  coming  out to 
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:53:52 pm »
They seem to come out about 20% heavier than POC. If a typical 50 lb spine POC is around 275 to 350 grains, an equal poplar is 325 to 375 grains.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 10:28:09 am »
my bread and butter arrow shafts are poplar dowels from Menards, i have to sort through about 200 shafts and i'll walk away with maybe 20 useable ones, but its worth it at 18 cents a piece.

They are durable, easy to work with, take stains well, and stay pretty straight.

The stiffest 5/16" will give about a 45lb spine, great if i can get enough, but usually i get 3/8" and plane them down to my desired spine. its not uncommon to find nearly perfect poplar dowels, none or maybe 1 grain run-off in a 36" length.
45# at 27"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 03:26:39 pm »
I've planed them out from poplar. I like poplar arrows. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 10:57:54 pm »
most of the shafts i use are popular , i bought the 3/8 dowel cutter from lee valley tools and once cut to 1/2 by 1/2 by 36 you can turn an arrow in about 7 seconds. spline is consistent and they straighten easy .

Offline Loki

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 06:50:19 pm »
Poplar and Cedar are my favourites,I always use Poplar for War Arrows.
Durham,England

Offline boo

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 07:25:40 pm »
Ive turned some poplar shafts, I think they are a great shaft. Better than POC in my book
Boo

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 08:20:34 pm »
I just bought some today, my very first wood arrow the shoot great. getting ready to try on some deer.
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption