Author Topic: Punch notching/ indirect percussion  (Read 7959 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Punch notching/ indirect percussion
« on: June 18, 2009, 01:22:34 pm »
I keep driving past this sign going to work down I35. Thought i'd make an Andice outa Georgetown :). A couple have asked about punch notching so I thought this would be a good opportunity to help explain how I've been doing it with copper.

Make your point or blade and get some little tiny notches started with pressure (I usually go in about three flakes or so) then abrade it down with some kind of little tool. flip the thing over and punch, punch. Be careful to not let the shoulder lay on your pad or your likely to break it off. I let everything just kinda float out in thin air and drive the flake into the pad. Another thing there is to drive your punch into the pad too or it'll follow through and break off a shoulder. Abrade those notches up after every flake then flip it and repeat - keep going till ya find what your looking for or something baaaaad happens ;D. I actually broke about a quarter inch off of this one and had to redress the base :-X.
  Here's a few pics to go along and the little flakes you'll get out of those punched notches.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

Re: Punch notching/ indirect percussion
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:24:34 pm »
more.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 01:34:59 pm »
wow beautiful point. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:05:38 pm »
Thanks, Paul. I've got a nice smooth, thin hand-sized biface made out of some of that rock you sent me that's screamin' to be an Andice/Calf Creek, but I haven't gotten up the nerve to start punchin' on it yet. Your tutorial helps answer a couple questions about punching that I had. I like that pic with the point and all the flakes laying around it-cool shot.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 02:25:01 pm »
Way cool Paul and a very nice job exlaining the how to. I always just punched on my leg pad,(ear breaker is my middle name):) but after seeing how you do it I will have to try that.

I agree with Hillbilly about that one pic....Super point!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 05:32:45 pm »
 Real nice job, Paul. It seems like everytime I try this it always seems like I'm a juggler, or need three hands.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline xin

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:39:28 pm »
Cowboy, nice job.  Pretty point.  Thanks for the tutorial!  Always enjoy your posts.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 07:15:45 pm »
Dang, I know that sign.....

You are a brave man, my friend.  Those shoulders would be vibratn' like a tuning fork if it were me punchin' that point....

And how do you get the thing to "float out in thin air "?  Are you putting pressure on the tip while you punch?  I can already hear the *snap* in my head.... ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 07:19:36 pm »
  That's what I was getting at, Patrick. Trying to hold everything in the right spot at the same time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 10:18:59 pm »
Wow.  That is a great point.  I've seen some of those and wondered how that notching was done.  Thanks for sharing.
Traverse City, MI

Offline cowboy

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 10:29:52 pm »
Thanks ya'll. Steve: you better go ahead and punch that thing - go ahead and hit it, it won't break - I promise ;D ::). That thing turned out OK but it's not quite the right shape (as I have problems with) and could have been somewhat thinner. I saw one a feller had up in OK a coupla weeks ago that was a lot thicker with deeper notches and around five inches long. He had been offered $250.00 for it, after I showed him one in my ID  book he bugged his eyes and I never saw him again :D.
 Yup, I figure you've seen that sign before Patrick - back in your old neighborhood :). I don't know why you ever moved - I'm having a blast down there while I'm supposed to be workin ::). Oh, about floating everything out in thin air. I just try to keep the base and shoulders out past the pad. The only part resting on the pad is the notch being punched - and yep, three hands would be a blessing ;).

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 10:50:47 pm »
Thanks for posting this Paul, it's exactly what I needed to know. ;)
 BTW, that point is KILLER!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 11:01:17 pm »
Yep,  I saw that sign tonight too.  Thanks for the lead Paul.   I didn't make a haul, but I got a few nice rocks.  Not bad, for just being in the neighborhood. 

Those notches are wicked bad.  Great job.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 11:08:40 pm »

Thanks, but I would still have to see it done in person.  I still need to learn to do that.  I keep breaking the opposite ear, or barb off.  I have a lot of fish harpoons...... ;D  That is a beautiful point. ;)
                                                                               Wayne

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 06:21:34 am »
Great point Paul, not sure I could manage them notches with 4 hands ::) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI