Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 6737 times)

Medi Eval

« on: June 19, 2009, 05:15:19 pm »
Hello All,

Greetings from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  I’ve been looking through the forum for a while and decided to take the plunge and join.  I’m an avid outdoors man and long-time conventional hunter, and have recently taken to traditional archery as a means of, primarily extending my hunting season, but also because I’ve had an enduring fascination with the bow and its simplicity.  Currently, I’m participating in a build-along for my first bow.  A 68" reflex / deflex with a bocote riser, osage and maple core limbs, and is anticipated to be 55# at 28".  Can’t wait!!

In addition, and the real reason I joined this forum, is that I’ve always been awestruck with medieval history and weaponry.  In particular, the English longbow and its genesis as one of the first forms of artillery.  I’ve been doing a lot of research (books / web / video) on its use, fabrication and impact on society in general, and have decided to attempt making one (self vs. laminated?).  Although the draw weight of my first North American styled bow doesn’t compare to the draw weight of ELBs of the past, I’m psyching myself up to the task.  If everything works out grand, I’ll start with a target bow and eventually work toward a war bow class of 85# plus.  I’m handy in the wood shop and have a good blacksmith friend to help with arrow heads, so I’m fairly ready to get going.

One problem I’m finding though is that, I’m in Canada and the majority of ELB resources are found in the UK.  There are so many organizations, associations, guilds etc. there to choose from and nothing that I’m aware of in NA.  Do any of “you” forum members know of any such like-minded people or affiliations, clubs, groups, faires or English fashioned bowyers in Canada (preferably in the Ottawa region) that are willing to provide build insight?  I’d really enjoy hearing from any such persons.  Anyhow, that’s about it for now.  I genuinely look forward to interacting and learning from the experience of the members of this forum.  Thanx greatly in advance to PA for hosting and good shooting to all.

Ciao,
Medi Eval

Offline Cromm

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 07:46:29 pm »
Hi,
Marc St Louis is the guy you want to take too.......
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Hotspur

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:06:35 am »
Hey there,

I've been getting into Warbow shooting over the last year or so, I'm from Hamilton Ontario.  While there are scarce resources in north America compared to England, there are a lot of exceptional bowyers around who are more than capable of making warbow weight.

In my neck of the woods I've made friends with a great fletcher and an outstanding bowyer, both from England originally.  There are a lot of primitive and other shoots around, if you look, that focus on wooden bows, or at the very least non-compound bows.  You'll almost certainly find likeminded compatriots at these archery shoots, like I did.  Maybe not so many shooting for heavy weight warbows but the english longbow is alive and well with many archers in Ontario.

Lastly, when I first wanted to get into archer, I joined the local chapter of the SCA, which is a widespread medieval group that puts on dozens of events each year and has a local chapter in Ottawa.  The local chapters have practices for everything from armoured combat to archery, and while even in our group there are a number of modern bows that leak in due to various reasons, it is a great place to go to meet people who are likeminded in their admiration for medieval weaponry and history.  The SCA is great fun, and gives me a big boost when looking for people to forge arrowsheads or help with other projects.  It may not be an extremely serious re-enactment group, the focus is on participation, but it does provide a lot of good resources into the medieval world.

Beyond that, all you have to do is keep pushing, keep looking around for primitive archery shoots, keep researching the bows you want to shoot, and keep carving them out and making them bend.  I feel very often that I'm the only one around in Ontario doing heavy bows, but that is not the case at all, it's just going to take a while for people like you and I to collect others to our cause and get some serious warbow shooting in :)

I'll be happy to chat about warbows and what you can do to get involved in Canada, essentially you just have to do it and always keep an eye out for those few that provide the services you need.  Keep in touch, I signed up just to let you know you and Marc aren't the only ones around,   :)

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 06:21:05 pm »
Hi,

I share your interest. I live in Saskatoon, SK., sorry, just a few thousand miles west! Yes, most of the serious martial warbow archers live in the UK, but there are a few of us here in Canuckland. I have some experience making heavy bows, both self yew and laminates. Cromm is correct, you need to contact Marc StLouis... he is an authority on heavy bows here in Canada. If I can help you in any regard, please contact me.

Cheers, Adam.

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 04:10:13 pm »
Hi,
 I am also in Canada  in the Toronto area. I have made a focused study of mediaeval archery and made exclusively mediaeval gear for over thirty years. It is my main passion. I would be glad to share such research as would fit your needs. I am not making warbow strength bows at this time because I lack the strength as well as the place to shoot with them and use hunting weight longbows,[55 pounds]. I have made a Mary Rose reproduction bow years ago but never tested it at full 30 inch draw. You might also want to look up www.sthubertsrangers.org, a mediaeval hunting group in Michigan. Some members other than myself are also into mediaeval archery.

cheers,
                                                                                                       Erik

Offline Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 03:32:45 pm »
Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I am in Guelph, Ontario, and would very much like to hear more about this English fletcher + bowyer near Hamilton!!

I love the English longbow, even though I'm only shooting Victorian-style currently.

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 09:45:01 am »
I don't know who you mean, but I make mediaeval bows and arrows and live in Waterloo, I corrently have a pieced yew stave half completed.

Offline Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 10:10:01 am »
I don't know who you mean, but I make mediaeval bows and arrows and live in Waterloo, I corrently have a pieced yew stave half completed.

I was referring to the bowyer that Hotspur mentioned in his post, but that's great that you're building bows in Waterloo.  If you ever feel like hanging out and talking warbows, or showing someone who has no idea what he's doing beyond reading buildalongs how to do it, let me know.  I'm surprised that out of the posters in this subforum, quite a few seem to be from Ontario.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 05:57:26 pm »
hey n-joy and learn. there is alot of experinced bow makers on here. i live in oklahoma along way from you and i aint ever build a elb. but you find all the info you want on here.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 04:30:48 pm »

I was referring to the bowyer that Hotspur mentioned in his post, but that's great that you're building bows in Waterloo.  If you ever feel like hanging out and talking warbows, or showing someone who has no idea what he's doing beyond reading buildalongs how to do it, let me know.  I'm surprised that out of the posters in this subforum, quite a few seem to be from Ontario.

I would be glad to chat and show you my gear and share any of my accumulated information that would fit your interest but that can't happen until November. You can get in  touch then. In the meantime you might be interested to read my article on mediaeval shooting technique on the St. Huberts website.

Offline Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 05:53:33 pm »

I would be glad to chat and show you my gear and share any of my accumulated information that would fit your interest but that can't happen until November. You can get in  touch then. In the meantime you might be interested to read my article on mediaeval shooting technique on the St. Huberts website.

Sounds great, I'd love to.  I'll get in touch with you in November, and I'll most definitely read your article.