Author Topic: Rock run (update)  (Read 6210 times)

PeteDavis

Re: Rock run
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 10:01:29 am »
That looks like my idea of fun. Good work.

What is the relationship of Keokuk (Peoria) and Burlington? Are they a related formation?

PD

Offline Timo

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 10:07:55 am »
Dana,I am blessed werever I am bro!

Otoe bow, I plan another trip sometime before fall, so I will give ya a holler!

Pete, Keokuk is a burlington formation.Peoria is the little town nearby.Not sure who named it peoria but alot of knappers associate this formation with the town.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 07:50:06 pm »
Well, Ok - I'm droolin ;D. Don't know why I didn't go but was kinda short notice. I see a trip up there in my near future. Like you Pete - that is my kinda fun :). Always rock haulin. Next time you get ready for a run Tim, let me know and I'm pretty sure I'll make it happen. I'm planning on taking the girls to see Grand canyon here in a couple of weeks. Hoping to load up a bunch of that Arizona dacite.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 11:13:00 pm »
Paul,Boyd told me that they are going to get a road down into the pit,that will allow them to dig deeper and get to a better vein,may be a bit before they get down that deep. I will probly wait until after July to go back,and then it will be an early morn run. ;D

In the mean time, you need to get you a good weight spalling hammer,we used a 3# copper hammer on the big stuff and it worked perty well,but another fella told me that a 4# sledge (that has been untempered) is perfect to the big stuff.

To untemper, heat the head up to cherry red and let it cool. Then weld in a short pipe handle.

It's good fun, and a great way to get alot of good rock cheap! I'll let ya know ahead of time,before I go back. Directions are simple.

About  10 miles south of Joplin Mo. Right on the border.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 02:07:30 pm »
Holy Sheet! Man I am so jealous. I want to get off the obsidian and do some flint or chert.
Nice haul
VB

Offline redwasp

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 07:50:01 pm »
wow looks like it was worth the drive to me :o. that is going to be some sweet rock!!!!!!!!!!!
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 11:16:05 pm »
I've got about an eight pound brass hammer that used to belong to Red Adair - wonder if that would work? I'm also kinda liking big hammerstones for big spalling too. I'll just bring an assortment.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 10:33:50 pm »
Unloaded the kiln tonight.here is a before and after pic and a few more.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Timo

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 10:35:36 pm »
Here is what I got from K2.Was trying for a button base dovetail, but screwed up the notches.I left it be. This stuff is like butter. ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Rock run (update)
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 11:08:46 pm »
That's sweet!  You lucky dog!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Timo

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 11:10:31 pm »
Shannon, sometimes we make our own luck? ;)

PeteDavis

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 11:23:38 pm »
Nice point from that rock.

PD

Offline cowboy

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 09:08:19 am »
Looks like that heat kinda darkened up the streaks in the stone - purty. That pile of spalls almost looks like Novac, and I'm sure it works great looking at that point. Extra nice ;).