Author Topic: Beet Root Stained Maple D Bow  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Parnell

Beet Root Stained Maple D Bow
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:37:17 pm »
This bow is more of an experiment than anything and I have fun with it.  It is 48" long, 1" wide at handle down to 3/8 tips.  It is 40# @ 20" and does stack hard.  It has taken way to much set and string follow is severe.  I don't think it will last very long, but I've already shot it perhaps 50 times, or so.  I didn't heat treat the belly before tillering and I hadn't given it any reflex.  I'm posting another D bow tomorrow that has fared much better from heat treating and reflex, but I digress. 

The stain is, I think, the most interesting part.  I used the juicer with fresh beet root.  For anyone that hasn't juiced a beet, the stuff is like blood but more watery.  I coated it 3 times and there is some pulpy fiber still in the finish, so it's textured some.  But I kinda like it.  Makes me wonder what else I can juice for stains?  I wrapped the handle real simple with hemp. 

Wasn't going to post it for BOM with the string follow and all, but OldBow made me feel guilty for not participating with my father's day hickory.  Must be a skill picked up from his days teaching?!  Just kiddin. ;)  I taught bio for a few years, too.

I'm posting things for feedback and thoughts so feel free to fire away with stuff.

Thanks,

Parnell

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline cracker

Re: Beet Root Stained Maple D Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:42:31 pm »
It looks like it would be tough to shoot but like you said that kind of thing can be fun.I tried something like that a while back and it blew on me much to the amusement of my grown sons.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 11:01:17 pm »
Nice tiller on that! The beet stain is a great idea. Let us know if it lasts or fades out. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Barrage

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 11:27:04 pm »
Nice little bow.  I tried beet juice as a dye for feathers one time... yeah, the texture you mentioned - not such a desired trait in feathers lol.
Travis

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 12:38:40 pm »
Good little riparian white tail hunter! Bookmarked, too, for June BOM fun!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 01:18:25 pm »
Howdy Group,

When I first read, here, about using beet juice as dye, I thought it would be great.  But, what about the smell, and taste?  If I hang it in the cabin, will the little rodents be attracted to it?

Also, will the dye come off and onto ones sweaty hands on those warmer days?  (It's about 90 Deg. F. right now.)

But, the thought of using natural dyes does interest me.

Thanks for sharing,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 04:38:03 pm »
Hey Canoe,

I don't think that the finish would be a problem if sealed.  I put a clear coat over this bow and doesn't bleed onto me even in the heat and humidity of SW Florida.  We've got critters galore around here, ants, mice, rats, lizards, etc. and this bow was left in my garage for several weeks - no problem.

Hope this helps.

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 07:16:53 pm »
I like it!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 11:34:04 pm »
Thats cool, I like the color, I'm gonna try that.
VB

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 11:40:25 pm »
Great idea. Beet juice is some strong dye. I juiced beets once and drank the juice. Wasn't bad but I forgot I drank it and thought there was a problem when I used the bathroom :D :D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 11:43:12 pm »
Ha! ;D  Been there done that!  I was so amused that I considered not flushing!  Kidding. >:D
1’—>1’