Author Topic: Copy of a letter I sent to Ed  (Read 29346 times)

Offline DanaM

Copy of a letter I sent to Ed
« on: June 22, 2009, 12:28:08 pm »
What do you guys think? Who would be interested in a monthly knapping article? A "Knappers Corner" if you will :)

Hi Ed

Hope all is well with you and yours. I've noticed on the forum lately that interest in flint knapping has really taken off.
More and more guys wanting to learn another "Primitive Skill" Seems like you start out building a bow which invariably
leads to making arrows, then you want to learn how to knap an arrowhead. This disease we all suffer from is a progressive
and virulent infection with no known cure. One can only treat the symptoms and hope for the best.

I was wondering if there is a possibility of starting a regular flint knapping section in the magazine? Lots of talented knappers
on the website that could be enticed to write an article. Topics could be beginner techniques to advanced techniques, finding suitable
rock, heat treating, spalling, punch notching etc. I think there is more than enough interest to make it a worthwhile endeavor and who
knows maybe pick up some more subscribers in the process. Thanks in advance for any answer.

Sincerely

Dana Montgomery
Manistique, MI
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Cromm

Re: Copy of a letter I sent to Ed
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 02:44:45 pm »
I would and do second that....
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:33:35 pm »
I like the idea and I third the notion. ;D
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:50:13 pm »
I like the idea also. From what I have seen and read over the years, the only thing keeping the magazine from having regular flintknapping articles is the lack of guys submitting articles. There have been some articles in the past along with some on arrows, and other things. Submit some articles and he will have some to print.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 08:40:58 pm »
Justin if I knew enough about knapping to write an article I would gladly do so.
I guess I could write one entitled "50 Ways to Shed Blood" or "First Aid for the Beginning Knapper" ;D

Was hoping if some of the experienced knappers would either write articles or contact their friends that aren't on here. Or maybe even
get someone like D.C. Waldorf to untertake such a venture :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 10:05:53 pm »
I like the idea.  8)  I seem to gravitate towards anything in PA that has anything to do with flintknapping.  I've often wondered why you don't see any rock dealers advertising in  PA  ???
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline John K

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 10:26:53 am »
I would read it.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 11:34:51 am »
Sounds like a good idea Dana. I'm with Justin though on the need for ever flowing material for a monthly story. Would take quite an effort from a lot of folks to keep it running I think. I would like to see some articles in there more often though, and wouldn't mind writing a few myself. Just need to take the time dadburnit ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 11:45:23 am »
Paul I had you in mind as a frequent contributor >:D ;)

Actually it could be a small 2 page article that covers one small aspect of knapping, could be something like proper platform preparation
or properly dressing a moose billet etc. When I get caught up on me remodel job at home I may have to try my hand at writing an article.
It would have to be simple as I'm a complete rookie but perhaps a rookies perspective will have at least something of interest  for all
you old jaded knappers :D

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 04:32:00 pm »
Dana
  How about this the birth and growth of a knapper. From bloody knuckles to finished blade. ::)Starring our very own Dana M.
Ronie

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 08:43:44 pm »
 Chris cade is always pesturing me to write an article about some of our hunts. I've just haven't been comfortable about it. Mostly because you need lots of pictures and I'm too busy trieing to stick something than take action shots.

But I'd be willing to submit some on getting coral out of the rivers down here and articles with Claude VanOrder knapping. Sounds like a good Idea, Dana.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 09:15:52 pm »
Now that would be interesting! Diving for rocks in FL - that I would like to see or do :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 07:10:15 am »
Thats the spirit eddie, diving for rock would be cool, and an interview with Claude with lots of pics would be good.
Any chance that Claude might write an article?

Ronnie I'm thinking on it ;)

Planning a rock hunt this saturday, found a couple of leads on quartzite and possible jasper and rhyolite so if
the weather holds the wife and I are going for a ride to see what we can find :) She can take pictures when she ain't hauling rock to the truck >:D

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 04:50:00 pm »
Thats the spirit eddie, diving for rock would be cool, and an interview with Claude with lots of pics would be good.
Any chance that Claude might write an article?

Ronnie I'm thinking on it ;)

Planning a rock hunt this saturday, found a couple of leads on quartzite and possible jasper and rhyolite so if
the weather holds the wife and I are going for a ride to see what we can find :) She can take pictures when she ain't hauling rock to the truck >:D
Hmmm If the misses finds out about that last line there may be a new flower bed in your future. ;D

Offline woodstick

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 09:07:02 pm »
 dang it guys if yall do that iam gona have to try it. oh well getter done. i aint got nuff stuff to do.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken