Author Topic: what should a newbie do with this?  (Read 2524 times)

Offline ozy clint

what should a newbie do with this?
« on: June 24, 2009, 12:44:30 am »
obsidian. about 4" long.

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
Re: what should a newbie do with this?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 01:12:59 am »
ive only been knapping for a few months now so if im wrong this post may be veto'd entirely. if thats 4" long, then its about 2" wide... id run it through a rock saw make some slabs to chip on. (a tile saw will work also, but go slow and make sure the water is on) im not very good at percussion yet, so i wouldnt even attempt it with that piece. just my thoughts.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Newbow

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 01:32:40 am »
That's not an ideal piece learn on.  By the time you get it thinned you won't have much left.  On the other hand, if you can get it sawn you should get a couple nice long blades out it.  No saw?  Save it for another time and look for better stuff.  Go here:  http://www.sonic.net/~dbieling/obsmap.html  and you'll get a map of major obsidian sources in California and several are not that far from you.  Good luck.

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 12:04:51 pm »
the other responses seem to answer "what can i make from this?", but as a beginner you should ask "what can i learn from this?" . you could spall it up with percussion, and use the spalls to do some pressure flaking . then get lots more. each time you sit down to knap, aim to learn something and make some gravel- you'll never be disappointed.  don't get attached to it, or agonise over what to do- just whack it . once you get the hang of it, making circles is a great way to learn- that is don't knap an arrowhead , just a circular biface. good luck!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 03:06:24 pm »
 Yep, a couple of lessons to learn with that piece. I'd learn how to drive to Home Depot, buy a small tile saw. And then learn how to slice a few slabs out of it. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 06:10:18 pm »
That would be a challenging piece to spall out and get a blade too. Like the others have said you can whack on it for practice and maybe come out with some workable spalls. Or saw it I reckon, don't have any experience with that. One things for sure though - your going to need a lot more ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.