Author Topic: tiller along - yew bow - final tillered pics  (Read 10389 times)

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
tiller along - yew bow - final tillered pics
« on: June 26, 2009, 09:39:07 pm »
ok,
i'm trying to finish up this bow and so far i am at 47lbs at 21 inches.  It is 62 inches long,  sinew backed and is holding about 2 inches unstrung reflex.

I am aiming for 47 at 27 or in that neck of the woods.

there is a whoop that is throwing me off a bit,  it looks like it bends alot,  but it is still pretty thick in that area,  also,  i would like to get it bending through the handle near the end.

i've got 4 pics,  unbraced,  side profile showing the whoop,  braced,  and pulled to 21 inches on the stick.

any and all help is appreciated, 

thanks,
Jamie

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:07:54 pm by ravenbeak »
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Marvin Campbell

Re: tiller along - yew bow - help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 11:01:35 pm »
Braced profile looks good and the tiller looks good.  Since your at 21" already and you want it to bend in the handle it is probably time to start slowly feathering the handle area as you work the limbs and remove wood to increase the draw length.  Hope it turns out as nice as it looks like it will.

When your working a stave with a big whoop to do like that one you should turn it around on the tiller stick to check the other side also.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 12:07:13 am »
   jamie,

thats looking good so far,i would do as marvin said.
that ought to be  an arrow smoker.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 11:14:54 am »
Hey, Jamie

Looks good so far to me. Your brace profile looks super. Do you have a tiller tree with a pulley system? You should ditch that tiller stick, and do yourself and your bows a favour! If you don't, send me an email, and I'll send you a pic of mine. Keep goin', that is going to be a super bow!

radius

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 11:36:18 am »
hey adam, pm sent

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 11:55:12 am »
She's looking pretty good so far. One thing you can do at the whoop is draw a straight line along the side of the bow at the whoop. Watch for the line to bend as you bend the bow and not the bow itself.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 04:11:32 pm »
Keep the limb thickness taper even through the whoop and you will be alright. It will look like it is bending more, but it's not. Time to start taking some wood off the handle area to get that area working a little more.
Gordon

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 07:48:13 pm »
thanks for the feedback,

adam,  I do have a pulley system set up in the home shop,  but i am out of town and working from the mobile set up.  I knew i was gonna catch some flack from someone for the stick..  I figure i just won't ever go to the full 27 on the stick,  stop a few inches short and check the end with the scale,

Pat I like that trick,  i drew the lines on there,  through the whoop and also through the handle,  haven't seen much movement yet,  a bit hard to tell though,  i was planning on doing the keep pulling it to the same length and checking the weight,  and scraping the handle in betweeen until i see the weight start to drop.

gordon,  again,  i have a set of calipers up at home,  i am a bit nervous about the taper,  feeling it is still thick through the whoop but like you said it appears to bend there alot so concerned about removing too much there,  i did pat's trick with the straight line,  so i'll try to go by that.

and I'll get a pic of it flipped on the stick,  it sits a bit happier the way it is with the string being off to one side ever so slightly,  but it shouldn't be a problem to flip it.

thanks guys,

I have been working the handle mostly but the limbs also,  it is 46lbs at 23 inches right now,  getting there,.

here's the new shot,  what do you think?

jamie

www.ravenbeak.com

Offline woodstick

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 08:03:01 pm »
looks good i say great cause i have had bad luck with yew so if you can make a yew look that good well damn i want your autograph. would like to pic when finished.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 09:16:24 pm »
Looks good. Get any more bending you need just  pas t the handle area out to about 10 inches on both limbs. I'd leave the last 10 inches alone for a bit. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 12:16:20 am »
I agree with George.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 12:22:38 am »
thanks guys,

i'd have to have an ace in the hole to argue against the two of you,

I'll get on it tomorrow,   i just put a coat of oil over the sinew which i will let rest for the night,   

looking forward to finishing it up.

more pics when i get closer
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 01:46:01 am »
Jamie,
That is lookin' super! I think you have a bit of a flat spot just outside the handle on the right limb. I'd work that fade a bit, and get it to match up with the left limb, which is fantastic.

Offline akila

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 07:51:46 am »
LIke Adb sad....u have a small spot just next to the handle, on the right limb....try to make that area bend a little, and it will be ok..... ;)

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 08:46:01 pm »
thanks guys,

I've been working at the handle and the right fade,  and got the handle moving,   i can feel it when exercising it. 

so far we are at 47lbs at 25 inches,  a little more work on the right fade and i thought that would be it.

well,  i flipped it around on the stick,  what  different story that paints,  now the right limb,  which was the left looks super stiff mid limb.

what do you guys think,  atleast there's still 2 more inches to go,  and i haven't drawn it past desired length or weight,

as always,  feed back is greatly appreciated,

Jamie

first pic is the way we have been viewing it and second pic is flipped on the stick.

www.ravenbeak.com