Author Topic: 1 Month Living on a Wild Diet  (Read 192745 times)

Offline JustAim

Re: 1 month living on a wild diet
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2009, 10:06:14 pm »
ive had a few grubs and ant larva. the ant larva is quite good. kinda has a creamy gravy taste. the grubs taste like wet popcorn

Yuck :P  Your a brave man for eating stuff like that. I'd be cooking the venison by now. The only insect l think l'd try is grasshopper.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2009, 10:45:29 pm »
Yeah man I don't even like the way wet popcorn feels in my mouth, it always makes me think someone got it in there mouth and it fell out. I can't imagine knowing I have a bug that feels/tastes like a wet piece of popcorn, I think it made me throw up in my mouth a little just thinking about it.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2009, 07:58:01 am »
hoppers are ok but too many and your butt turns into a garden hose, trust me on this one.

a buddy of mine is an army ranger and we like to see who can eat the nastiest thing. He wins with the banana slugs. Earth worms are gross raw but edible cooked. Again dont eat anything raw because i have!

body weight is stable at 178
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Stoker

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2009, 10:48:12 am »
Thanks for the pic of plaintain never knew what it was.Just thought it was a weed it's growing in my back yard tried it this weekend
a little bitter but not bad. Keep the faith
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JustAim

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2009, 09:18:39 pm »
hoppers are ok but too many and your butt turns into a garden hose, trust me on this one.

a buddy of mine is an army ranger and we like to see who can eat the nastiest thing. He wins with the banana slugs. Earth worms are gross raw but edible cooked. Again dont eat anything raw because i have!

body weight is stable at 178

Ha....The worms are all yours big guy ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2009, 12:29:39 am »
I read a statistic somewhere that more people on earth depend on insect protein to survive than don't!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2009, 07:01:35 am »
I see you are still at it. :) I also found some Plaintain at the cabin,I also thought it was a weed
Do you eat it raw ? This is cool stuff may need to know this stuff someday. Thanks. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kegan

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2009, 12:53:28 pm »
I read a statistic somewhere that more people on earth depend on insect protein to survive than don't!

Vegitarians probably don't realize that they're getting a little protein with their ruffage ;).

Offline Stoker

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2009, 06:33:34 pm »
This is a great learning experinence  I found a shaggy mane mushroom in a flower bed( i think? according to the book)
didn't try it. I'm looking at my yard in a whole different light.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline jamie

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2009, 05:32:27 am »
stoker that comment is exactly why i do this. its a test for me as well as learning some new things everytime i do it. but when other people take interest it means a lot more. if it gets one person to take interest its worth it.

by the way have i said that i couldnt of picked a worse time to do this.  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2009, 10:35:38 am »
wanted to add this byline that just because i can eat certain wild foods doesnt mean everybody can. many plants contain tannins, latex etc that can cause illness or allergic reactions. you need to know your foods and yourself.

kegan its a great edible plant as well as medicinal. my kids will grab plantain for a cut rather than a bandaid. grab a leaf , chew it up and apply to wound. it has great healing properties. ive used it on a copperhead bite and it reduced the damage from the bite a lot. i only lost the skin in the immediate area of the bite rather than most of the skin on the top of my hand.
We always chewed it up and put the poltice on bee and hornet stings.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2009, 10:52:01 am »
I'll remember that,I always put tobaco on bee stings,that work also,if you happen to have that bad habit like me. ;) :)
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Dingleberry

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2009, 10:33:07 pm »
Jamie,  you inspired me.  Me and a coworker ate some grubs and earthworms.   tasted like dirt.  Also, we harvested some wild ginger, ate some young smilax leaves and wood sorrel.  It's amazing that a person could live off the plants in the woods without even having any meat.  kudos to you brotha.

Offline jamie

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2009, 08:47:08 am »
Very cool. One thing though, we'd be dead without meat. You can get sustenance from plants but you'd starve to death eventually. On the other hand, you could survive on meat. You have to eat every part of the animal to do so but you will get what your body needs. Any way im still at it. Getting skinny but feel good. I broke once for a veggie pizza with a friend. But it was worth it. =) still busier than hell and definately not getting enough protein but it shows how long the body can last on a minimal diet. Or better put how many times we eat for pleasure rather than sustenance. One more week and im going to start eating some organic produce like rice and veggies but im gonna continue this wild thing for the rest of the year. I know ive been promising more pics just keep forgetting to take them. Also the diet has been pretty damn boring. Ill put up what i have tonight. Peace

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2009, 10:14:09 am »
got one pic that actually came out good. this is purslane. most people weed this from their garden and throw it away . its more tasty and healthy than the rest of the vegetables they are growing.

waterbury, ct