Author Topic: 1 Month Living on a Wild Diet  (Read 191325 times)

Offline recurve shooter

Re: 1 month living on a wild diet
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2009, 11:08:42 pm »
lets see, dugout, longhouse, starvation....yup you get my vote for caveman of the month.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline TRACY

« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2009, 10:27:27 am »
Looking back now, I was pretty sure but always room for error. You've got me inspired to do a mini quest now :)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2009, 05:18:55 pm »
Hey Jamie   Since moving to Alaska,I have learned that the more local foods (Un-polluted) I can stuff in my craw,the healthier I am.Viruses don't touch me any more and I don't seem to have any other probs. either.Just turned 50.No pills needed.  Lots to learn yet. Great thread here.  Thanks for sharing.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2009, 09:06:00 am »
thanks curve  ;D

tracy if you do it definetly pick up a field guide. i'll look at the title of some of my books and give ya a list of the best. petersons is ok for i.d. but it has some flaws

fish thats very cool. i try to buy only local. problem is i cant get anybody to grow avocadoes up here.  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2009, 01:09:08 pm »
Fascinating  study,  has  anyone  lived  on  wild  for  a  significant time  and  what  was the effect  on  your  health?
zeNBowyer
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline jamie

« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2009, 09:22:11 am »
month at a time for me. and it always has a positive effect on my system. even this time after starving most of the time. when im eating normally i still get about 50% of my diet from wild food. a couple friends of mine are in the north woods of maine living completely primitive for a year. they'll be out this fall if they survived and i'll let everybody know how they did when and if they walk out.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline TRACY

« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2009, 10:48:33 am »
Jamie, ever read the Omnivore's Delimma by Michael Pollan? It's the natural history of 4 meals and one of them is the hunter-gatherer's meal. Seems fitting for the topic here.

Thanks for the info so far!

Any recommendations on mushrooms and fungus as far as a good reliable reference? Hate to make a mistake eating the wrong ones

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline jamie

« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2009, 12:21:33 pm »
i stick to the tree shrooms. oysters and chicken of the woods. puffballs and morels for the ground. i dont screw around with mushrooms.  im definetly gonna look for that book

waterbury, ct

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2009, 12:39:58 pm »
You  cannot  afford a  mistake  with  mushrooms  if  you are remote,  unless  you  are   an expert  I  would avoid  mushrooms, it's  my  understanding their  is  very little  nutrition  in them  anyway

Offline Stoker

« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2009, 06:26:42 pm »
Congrats on your quest. Went to a 3d last weekend shot with a fellow that knew that area well learned alot.
Not to familiar withthe aspen parkland. I have the national adouban mushroom fleid guide it has good pictures
and disscriptions. I get my mushrooms at the store a little chicken in that department.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline paulc

« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2009, 10:09:15 am »
I have eaten bad mushrooms...talk about a fire hose!  Both ends at the same time.  Absolutely horrible.  Be sure you know your schroom before you eat it.  I ate what was probably false morels outside of Mo'town, WV.

Omnivores Dilemma is an excellent book!  Those of you that enjoy reading really ought to pick it up. 

Virtually all the red meat I eat is deer I get off Fort Stewart, plus I got one feral hog last year...bow season in a couple weeks!  Then rifle season for weeks and weeks...can't wait to load the freezer again

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2009, 12:29:22 pm »
Some  of the most  dangerous  mushrooms  are toxic  to  your  liver, lot  more than  just a  little  nausea/vomiting/other  end,  once  your  liver  goes-

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2009, 10:52:10 pm »
 I wish we had more edible 'shrooms in Florida. I only know of one I'd chance eating and gotten too old for that.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jamie

« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2009, 04:36:51 am »
you got a bunch of psychedelic shrooms down there ed.  =)

waterbury, ct

Offline Hhop

« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2009, 08:03:42 am »
Great post! Have not checked in for quite a while and just read the entire thread. It is amazing how many free edibles grow in your yard or nearby that most people are unaware of. I can walk around my yard and gather lambs quarter, dandelion, burdock; all great greens. There is also lots of purslane, just pick and eat. If I have a stomach or digestive disorder; there is always Canadian Fleabane nearby. I often just pick leaves chew thoroughly and swallow......not ver tasty but very effective....the recommended method is to make a tea of it.

I have been interested in this for many years; and just recently began a study course that I picked up from the Ancient Roots group on Yahoo. Very good infor there.
You don't have to stop playing when you get old, but you get old when you stop playing.