Author Topic: 1 Month Living on a Wild Diet  (Read 191297 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: 1 month living on a wild diet
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2009, 01:36:53 pm »
I would have loved to have a good medical work up on you before and after, especially the cholesterol data! 

Just as a side note, I have been off beef for two years (less than 3 lbs total per year) but still eat red meat 6 nites a week.  I'll let you guess  what all I have eaten, LOL.  My bad cholesterol went down 27 points to 163 and my doctor is really cranked up about it.

I gotta run now, time to apply for more South Dakota Antelope tags!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2009, 04:53:05 pm »
ill do another this october and have my buddy/doctor do a physical and blood screen.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Kegan

« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2009, 11:31:34 am »
Been a while since I last looked in. Jamie, I had no idea that they lived like that.That's so neat :)

Looking forward to your fally edition too :)!

Offline jbnizzle

« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2010, 12:13:47 am »
Jamie'
         I went for 7 days without food once 3 of those with no food then went to the movies
         after a good sweat lodge. The popcorn smell almost sent me into oversensitiveity mode,
         very cool and scary at the same time.

You got all my respect bud,  good worl and luck

J.B.

Army Drill Sergeant , you grew em now hold em up.

Offline jamie

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2010, 11:18:13 am »
thanks jb. i know what you mean about smells.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2010, 01:58:34 am »
This is an interesting thread I would love to be versed on survival and knowing and eating the right things.  Of course I do know some being fish any mamals...bugs, fiddleheads,some roots.  But there are lots of dangerous ones to avaoid.  One thing is having a computer to look such things up EH?  Or my droid in this case.  I hope someday I can take off an extensive amount of time to go 100% ABO living I think 2 weeks for the first time out would be a killer.  Thanks Jamie!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2010, 12:07:45 am »
very cool thread, thanks for the info. I gathered a bunch of camas this summer at my cabin, really high in starch, but tastes good. the natives gathered it and dried it, sometimes using earth ovens, I am trying to find out more info on preparing it. it gets really sticky when eaten raw or boiled. must be a good way to reduce the starch.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2010, 12:10:41 am »
Just be sure which camas you are using.  There is one from the prairies in the Dakotas that is known to cause some "distress".  It's called Death Camas.  Wonder why, hehe.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2010, 01:10:11 am »
I need a cigarette and a beer after reading this thread !!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline jamie

« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2010, 06:55:05 am »
me too after doing it  ;D

waterbury, ct

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2011, 10:33:53 pm »
 ;D that was cool man,great job

Offline jamie

« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2011, 10:56:11 am »
thanks man. its definetly interesting. it also is a great teacher. one thing to read it in a book, but when you rely on it it really soaks in. peace

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2011, 06:56:37 am »
Jaimie was rereading this thread and not to soil it I have to say when the old lady took off and left I couldnt eat at all I lost almost 50lbs.  after reading your post and how u fealt explosive not eating for awhile.  Your body becomes euphoric at a certain point and for those who have starved to death probably didnt even hurt.  It is so true it hurts like crazy at first but then it seems like u have loads of energy.  Later I found out your body switches to survival mode and starts burning the stored fat and muscle.  Anyway I could afford to lose some weight anyway!  LOL thanx bro.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline jamie

« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2011, 09:29:06 pm »
your correct to a degree. cause i get that way in the spring when the work loud is insane. this was different though .

waterbury, ct

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2011, 12:49:24 am »
I may follow your lead Jamie and do my own living off the wild for about a week or so and just see how it goes? Sounds like good redneck entertainment. I live within a stones throw of a river that's full of nature's bounty, the river can provide nearly everything a man needs to survive and I believe that's why Indians usually settled near them.

I also know where AA76 is coming from cause I was on the Atkins diet for over a year and lost over 100 lbs. on it. At first I was craving carbs like a mad man and thought I was gonna lose my mind, then after about 2 weeks of eating nothing but meat and veggies I felt awesome! The weight just started falling off like crazy and my energy level went through the roof. My wife at the time was reaping the benefits as well cause my sex drive went off the charts. LOL  :o ;D

I think the body goes through a cleansing period until it rids itself of all the bad stuff we put in it, then the afterburners kick in. When I lost all the weight I felt better and looked better than I had since high school and was even about 15 lbs. lighter than when I graduated.
I need to get back on it again, but I'll have to put some fresh deer meat in my freezer first. That's what I mainly survived on when I was low carb eating.

Do you have any good links for wild edible plants or recipes for them? I live in Missouri and I know some of the goodies, but not nearly  enough to keep it interesting. I know I can get plenty of protein with fish, crawdads, squirrels, ect. but it's the plants to go with it that I'm not too saavy about.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32