Author Topic: PRIMITIVE ARCHER IS BREAKING NEW GROUND!  (Read 17013 times)

Offline billy

PRIMITIVE ARCHER IS BREAKING NEW GROUND!
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:48:40 am »
     I wanted to let everyone know of an incredibly rare opportunity that Primitive Archer will be presenting to the world beginning early next year.  I will be submitting a 6-part series of articles that will span an entire year and will feature REAL, AUTHENTIC Native American bows and arrows housed in the collections of the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C.  Less than 1% of the Smithsonian's artifacts are on display...the vast majority are in storage.  And that's where I'm going...into their collections...into the Holy Grail to examine, photograph, and measure these priceless artifacts.  The Smithsonian VERY RARELY grants permission for these photos to be published because they provide their own photos, but their photos lack close-up detail.  What makes this special is that they have granted me the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to publish my own photographs, just this once, in the magazine of my choice.  And they will be featured in Primitive Archer.

This series of articles will be titled Treasures of the Smithsonian, and will begin in the Southeastern U.S. with Creek and Cherokee bows and arrows (and quivers if available).  Then each successive article will move farther westward, highlighting a different tribe and their weapons, finally ending with the beautifully painted paddle bows of northern California.  Most of these weapons have never before been seen by the public.  This article will have numerous close-up photos of bows and arrows, and will be taken by a primitive archer, for primitive archers.  Some of these weapons were collected before the California gold rush of 1849, when wild stone-age Indians still lived in the United States. Most of these weapons have never before been seen by the public, and this your chance to see the real deal.

There has never been anything like this published ANYWHERE, and Primitive Archer is breaking new ground here.  For those of you who don't have a subscription, I suggest you get one.  If you know anyone who has always wanted to see what real Indian bows look like, I suggest you tell them to subscribe.  If there was one year out of all others to get a subscription to Primitive Archer, then this would be it.  Primitive Archer will become much more than a magazine...it will become an encyclopedia of information and details that is unprecedented.  Primitive Archer will be bringing the most prestigious archaeological institute to your doorstep...I suggest you get on board and subscribe.       
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 02:56:15 am by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: PRIMITIVE ARCHER IS BREAKING NEW GROUND! PLEASE READ!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 01:09:33 pm »
Billy, This is very exciting and cool news. Good for you for the effort you are putting into this and the effort you will be putting in to make this series a reality. Thanks for your efforts and for allowing PA to have the exclusive on these artifacts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:12:40 pm »
WOW!!! This is awesome news, and I really look forward to your series of articles.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 01:25:32 pm »
Looking forward to seeing it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 03:30:50 pm »
Wow...  :o

You sure there's enough space in the magazine?  If it were me taking the pictures we would need a separate issue for each bow, arrow and quiver!

Make sure you weigh everything (if possible)!!! There are no sources that mention the weights of the artifacts....and it's frustrating when you're missing information like that when trying to reverse engineer the stuff.

Here's an example of info from the AMNH site:

BOW, SINEW-BACKED
NORTH AMERICAN ETHNOGRAPHIC COLLECTION
Catalog No: 50 / 8432
Culture: APACHE, JICARILLA
Locale: NM
Regions: BASIN, PLAINS, SOUTHWEST
Material: WOOD, SINEW
Dimensions: L:106 W:3 H:2.5 [in CM]
Accession No: 1909-57
Donor: GODDARD, PLINY E., DR.

Missing info:

Weight!
Five (5) views: Belly, side 1, Side 2, Back and Top (look down the bow)...not just a side view!
Cross Sectional Dimensions for every 2" increment of length...or whatever is needed to fully understand the shape!
Greasy finish? Sticky? Smooth???
Any photos taken of the bow when it was originally found?  Any accompanying drawings?
And last but not least....LIST AND INFO OF OTHER ITEMS IT WAS FOUND WITH!

Billy, thanks for your effort.   We are all looking forward to the info....so don't screw it up!!  (no pressure.... ;D)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 06:07:48 pm »
Hey Pat,

A lot of these bows and arrows were either collected or donated to the museum.  Back then, record keeping wasn't as important as it is today, so you end up with very vague (and sometimes incorrect) information.  Photographs of the artifacts when they were collected would require going into the photo archives (which I won't have the time to do).

Some info I will give is : acquisition date, length, width, and material construction (if available).  I will also have close-up photos of bow nocks, arrow fletching, points, and decoration.  Photos will have a ruler so accurate dimensions can be determined.  I will also give cross-section drawings of the bows at handle, midlimb, and tips.  I doubt that I'll have the time to weigh all these artifacts.  Some items (like arrows) are often secured to foam holders and I can't go freeing every one of them just to weigh them...and I don't think that would be kosher with the staff.  Plus, I'll only have 2 days to conduct this research so time definitely is not on my side.  I'll obtain as much info as I can in the short time I'll be up there, and of course pass it on to you.     
Marietta, Georgia

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 07:53:28 pm »
Yer one lucky dude Billy, hope you can get some pics of NA's bows and arrows from my area here in Upper Michigan,
specifically Potawatomie(Spelling) and Chippewa. Looking forward to the articles and I'm sure you will do a great job :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 08:30:22 pm »
  Billy, that is exciting news, way to go. I'm looking forward to seeing the articles.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 03:13:15 pm »
Drat...time always has a way of sneaking into the equation.  Two days is better than no days, though!  Can't wait.  :)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 03:21:20 pm »
Billy...I was just thinking.....maybe you could do a "how to" on getting access to museum archives?  There are lots of museums near me but I have no idea on how to begin the process of gaining access to their collections.  Is there a secret?  (other than a student ID card?)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 05:39:59 pm »
you the man!!!!
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 08:31:18 pm »
That'll be interesting billy! looking forward to it...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline uwe

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 02:45:09 pm »
Thats a good news! I think I`ll try an Abo when the series is coming. When will it beexactly?
Regards Uwe

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 04:18:51 pm »
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 04:33:02 pm by Michael C. »
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Allen7

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 03:37:48 am »
That is fantastic Billy.  A truly wonderful opportunity.   I can't wait to see the articles, wish I could go to.

Allen Minton