Author Topic: PRIMITIVE ARCHER IS BREAKING NEW GROUND!  (Read 17117 times)

Offline billy

Re: PRIMITIVE ARCHER IS BREAKING NEW GROUND! PLEASE READ!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 06:43:51 pm »
The articles will probably begin early next year...Jan or Feb I'm assuming, but it all depends on when I can get all the manuscript work done and accompanying captions for the photos.  Holy smokes, I'm looking at this and it's gonna be a HUGE undertaking..... I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew!! 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: PRIMITIVE ARCHER IS BREAKING NEW GROUND!
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 02:13:48 am »
that rocks brother.... looking forward to your articles as usual... keep us posted... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Pahinh.Winh

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 02:35:02 pm »
I rattle my tongue for this!  I've been applying for jobs since March 7 with no luck, & even the temp service hasn't had much come in, but as soon as I get some income (now down to $30 total cash & nothing I can sell but my museum-quality custom mocassins, which haven't been selling much, darn it!), I'll subscribe so I can have these articles, too, & I'll see if I can get the local library to take a subscription.  Since the museums began robbing us of our artifacts & stashing them back when they convinced themselves that we would go extinct (partly with their 'help', by taking Sacred Bundles, Channunpas (prayer Pipes, which are not 'art objects', & so on), such things as truly old bows & arrows have also been withheld from us.  The Cheyenne hold arrows to be Sacred, so a word to the wise.. before you photograph any bows or arrows, offer tobacco to the spirits with a prayer of thanks & for their forebearance about photographs at all. Kodak wasn't kidding, from our Traditional perspective, when they advertised "capture the spirit".  It's about showing respect, & believe me, the spirits know more about the purity of everyone's heart's intentions than any of us ever will.  Mitakuye oiasin - All (are) my relatives.

Offline The tinker

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 04:17:00 pm »
Thank You.
 I've been eonting to see something like that for years.  I use to go to the school library and look trough National Graphic magizen just to see if i could find pictures or stories about such thanks.
Once again thank you for m favorite magazine.

The Thinnker

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 01:31:31 pm »
This is fantastic Billy, i always enjoy your articles. i will be interested to see if they have anything on the northern plains tribes: Mandan, Arikara, and Hidatsa. looking forward to it!
45# at 27"

Offline billy

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 11:45:24 am »
Hey Gopher,

The only northern plains tribe I covered was Sioux.  They are pretty famous and the Smithsonian had a lot of artifacts from them.  The article will show 3 Sioux bows and 3 sets of arrows, as well as a quiver and bowcase!  YAY!!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Grayhorn

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 12:42:23 pm »
It sometimes makes one wonder who the hidden articles are being kept for. Way to go PRIMETIVE ARCHER. And I will be looking forward to all the info. Al

Offline Postman

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 11:08:23 am »
Went to the museum of the American Indian a few weeks back. Oddly, they had a big display of firearms, some beautiful points,  but only a few bow/arrow sets here and there. I was hoping for a big display comparing native archery tackle.  Have some pics, not sure if I can post them ???
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA