Author Topic: thread wrap  (Read 5608 times)

Offline woodstick

thread wrap
« on: July 02, 2009, 05:50:06 pm »
i got a bow iam doing the finish work on, tru oil. it is backed with timber rattlers and when i wrapped the bow putting on the hides one little spot of the hide moved on me and you can see the rawhide. it aint bad at all but i was gona thread wrap it just to make it look a little better. my ? is what do you seal or put on the thread when you are done with it. all info would be nice. thankya.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Aosda

Re: thread wrap
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 06:16:46 pm »
I've heard you can use super glue to hold the thread in place.  When I refletch my carbon arrows, I use thread to wrap 'em on, and use a dab of Titebond rubbed in with my finger.  Holds up pretty well.  I guess from there, your tru oil will finish it off with the rest of the bow.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 10:13:37 pm »
thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 12:38:09 am »
I usually use super glue on thread wraps. It is a trick Art Butner told me about. Saturate the wrap with the glue and let it dry. Sand it with fine emery cloth and add more glue. Sand again and add more glue.  You will end up with a solid band that is glued to the bow and skin. Very solid!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 12:11:37 pm »
thanks pat that sounds a little stickey. but good wat to do it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 05:04:16 pm »
I use a finger to spread the super glue. As long as the glue is liquid you won't get stuck. You will have to remove the glue from your finger(unless you use a glove) but it will peel off with a little effort.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC