Author Topic: Good belly lam for laminated warbow?  (Read 4008 times)

Offline RyanY

Good belly lam for laminated warbow?
« on: July 02, 2009, 05:51:51 pm »
So pretty soon I'm going to attempt to make a laminated warbow. I know I want to use hickory for the backing and a middle lam of purple heart but I'm not sure of what wood I can use for the belly? Here is a list of woods that the wood supplier I will be getting my wood from sells, if you could be so kind as to point me toward the right direction I would really appreciate it. Some of these are exotic hard woods they sell so don't ask why I put them on there. Thanks.!

White Ash, Alder, Basswood, Beech, Birch, Butternut, Aromatic Red Cedar, Cherry, Cyress, Hickory, Kentucky Coffee Tree, Soft Maple, Curly Maple, Hard Maple, Birdseye Maple, Red Oak, Rift Sawn Red Oak, White Oak, Qtr. Sawn White Oak,Sugar Pine, Yellow Poplar, Walnut, Sassafras, Benge, Black Limba, Bloodwood, Brazilian Cherry, Brazilian Leopardwood, Bocote, Bubinga, Canarywood, Cocobolo, European Beech, Goncalo Alves, Iroko, Lacewood, Honduras (Genuine)Mahogany, Philippine Mahogany, African Mahogany, Padauk, Purpleheart, Pau Amarella, Bolivian Rosewood, Spanish Cedar, Burmese Teak, Wenge, Zebrawood

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
Re: Good belly lam for laminated warbow?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 02:51:27 am »

It depends what draw weight you are looking for but I find that the difficult bit is finding wood which can take the compression on the belly for a warbow
I find IPE very good but its not a nice wood to work with (the dust is very nasty), Lemonwood is very good and very easy to work with

It may be worth buying some belly wood from a bowyer if you cant find anything suitable at your wood supplier