Author Topic: Feral reptiles in Florida; possible hunting opprotunity.......  (Read 12828 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Feral reptiles in Florida; possible hunting opprotunity.......
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 11:21:04 pm »
  Just ask Chris Cade(mechlesher) or Brian melton or Shannon (sawfiler) about the wild cows on the ranch we were hunting in South Florida. When I was working in Nassau, I had an invite to go to Andros Island and hunt wild, feral bulls. They were having a problem with them attacking small cars and trucks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 11:32:07 pm »
Them cows ain't 'Ol Bessie you see out in the barn lot or pasture field around here.  They're long legged, scrawny, and wilder'n all get out!  Most cows will let you walk across a field and never look up. But them crazy florida cows will spot you from 300 yards out and never take their eyes off you till your out of sight. Ain't no walking up and slapping one of them on the ass to make it run off!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2009, 01:05:43 am »
Good Dogs ,Fast Horses n a good ropein arm, takes care of them kinda critters.We call em Slickears in this country.Lotta fun,fer a good hand.LOL

Offline stickbender

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2009, 01:19:31 am »

Recurve Shooter, I love the swamps, but I was in them from the time when I was very young, and my Parents, and Grand dad and my Brother would go down there to hunt, you just learned to look ahead, and down as you walked, or waded, and you knew which areas were deeper than others, and what not to touch, or get too close to.  I will miss the swamps, and the ocean.  But as for you not having any exotics......you have nutria in La., also. They are considered a delicacy by some of your fellow Louisiana residents. :P  Give it time, and you will be getting other critters, that will thrive there, like here in Fla. . ;)

Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 11:07:43 pm »
yeah i know about the nutria, and im planin to go to a friend's dairy farm and ride around with my 30-30 (yeah i know, overkill, but i like the rifle) and try to shoot a few of them. or i may try my hand at shooting my bow from a horse. anyhow they got a gator farm that pays for the meat, and there is like a 5 dollar bounty on them. easy, and fun, money.
lets just shoot it

Offline stickbender

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 12:21:55 am »

Recurve shooter, it's good practice with either bow or rifle.  It's just with idiotic prices on ammunition now, maybe the bow would be better.  In fact, why not try out a Nutria dinner......Should be tasty, it is a vegetarian. ;)  Muskrat is supposed to be absolutely delicious.  They used to sell it during the depression, and  called it Long Island duck, nutria is just a bigger version of that basically.  Andrew Zimern like it when he did a show in Louisiana, and a guy cooked up one for him.   ;)
                                                                                  Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 03:42:16 pm »
huh. i think i may try that. i have also heard that musk rat is awsome, but i have no idea what a musk rat is. if i did i would be chaseing then around. but as far as the nutria, i think i may try it. it cant be any worse than coon, and i eat that all the time.
lets just shoot it

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 05:21:42 pm »
Muskrat is indeed excellent eating.  Not much meat on them though
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com